Hemochromatosis blood draw

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis a year ago, I have a pint of blood drawn every two weeks my ferretin level has gone from 850 to 86.  But when nurses draw my blood from my deep veins they always go to the same arm and same place and my arm is sore 10 days after blood draw . Is this dangerous for blood clots?  Also what can help them find a vein on my other arm

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, no this isn't dangerous for blood clots at all, so don't worry. As regards the nurses finding a vein on your other arm depends on the skill of the nurse at that time, but in my experience quite often veins on the arms are quite symmetrical. However, do mention to them next time that you are experiencing pain in your arm. Good luck.

• Posted

OK thanks, I am putting heat on my arm seems to help, its been a long year and I think my veins are tired of being poked every two weeks, lets hope my blood draws will be stretched out in very near future
  • Posted

Drinking lots of water helps..the day before and the day of.
    • Posted

I do drink a lot of water day beforeand morning of, I get IV of saline before my appt are at 8:0 0 morning
  • Posted

Usually my phlebotomists ask which arm I prefer.  I tell them to try the other arm to the one they usually go to.  They want the easy one (for their own convenience) but you end up with lots of scar tissue and the vein eventually becomes unusuable.  So ask them to spread it around.

On my 13th venesection in a popular vein above my wrist (I have had about 200 venesections), the vein burst and I was left with a huge haematoma.  So take some control.

A first timer (they often are) was set to do my last venesection.  Her supervisor decided to use a portable ultra sound machine to find a vein, so a different vein that had not been used before was found.  Yay!

• Posted

That is shameful how dare them torture someone like that. It's bad enough without them abusing you. Can you try another lab, not sure how your insurance works..

Can you talk with the doctor.. this should not be. So sorry for what you are going through.

• Posted

Also, keep the tight/firm bandage on for at least 24 hours, and try putting ice on it (a packet of frozen veges)!.

I too lost a couple of postings because this website freezing all the time - I thought I was my computer, but now I know it is not (thanks, philx).

• Posted

I am going to ask if the hospital has a portable ultra sound machine,my veins are deep but I really think I have to give this arm a rest. Has anyone experienced hair loss with the hemochromatosis?  My boys were checked and they both have one gene, my brothers were checked and they do not have my sister died of cancer so we will never know and I don't know if it was my mom or dads side

• Posted

Hi Mary

I've had 10 extractions from my right arm, they tried it once from my

Left arm had a problem finding the vein,they did manage it,but blood

Stopped coming out after 200m,I think a lot of people have a favoured

Arm,you can request they try other sites on the body,but I will stick with

my arm, I did as the hemotologist he said there was not risk extracting

From the same arm

Cheers Philx

I was going to put more this site keeps freezing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.