Hemoroidectomy tips

Posted , 4 users are following.

Thought I'd write a few points that helped me;

Hemorrhoid pads with witch hazel from Amazon. Perfect for keeping clean.

Sanitary pads with wings to keep them in place. You need a lot of these because of the leakage.

Ibuprofen and paracetamol. I was given Codeine at hospital to take home. They were a god send, but do constipate you. I limited my usage of them. I'd take two in the morning and two at night. I could definitely feel amazing effects of them. They'd take away the pain within 20 minutes.

Lactulose. I took 10mls twice a day.

Glycerine suppositories. Day 4 after the op, I called the GP as I'd not been to the toilet properly. She suggested these (£1.10 over the counter at the pharmacy). I still use these to help me go. I'm 16 days post op.

A stool to rest your feet on when you try to go to the toilet. It puts your body in a better position apparently.

Hairdryer to dry yourself after a wash. You'll not want to rub it.

Hot bath after a poo. It'll save you a lot of pain. Start running it as you hop on the toilet.

Moist toilet wipes.

Prune juice. Flax seeds. All bran.

Emla. I've only just stopped using this. It numbs the area after using the toilet. I used it before going to, but found it eased the discomfort after.

Lots and lots of water.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thank you,i have been doing this only 1s i havent r the witch hazel pads and hairdryer.

I thought i had prepared myself but seems i hadnt!

How long did you take to recover?

I have been having showers as I can't make it upstairs after a bm i literally hold onto my washing machine to help me keep upright. Burning pain is ridiculous 😢😢

• Posted

Im sorry you're still in so much discomfort. When was your op?

I would say I'm pretty much there, apart from the leakage and having to use the suppository to go to the toilet. (I think that's more psychological though)

I still feel tired. I'm not sure if that's because I've been off work for two weeks, or the general anaesthetic. My GP told me a GA is equivalent to a marathon.

• Posted

You need the bath to jump into to relieve the burning. It's the only thing that helped me. Then get the emla on it.

I would say I felt like I had a prickly pear up my bottom for the first week and a half. Days 4-9 being the worst.

• Posted

I had my op on tuesday, i have been feeling completely wiped out.

I have an active 2 year old aswell so much harder.

How long has it been since yours?

• Posted

This makes sense then. Day 4 or 5 I was saying I would rather go through back to back contractions and then a c section instead of the discomfort I was in then.

I'm day 16 now. It seems to get worse before it gets better, but you'll get there.

I have a 19 month old. I tried to not pick her up too much. It felt like my insides might fall out when I did. I was lucky that she was at the Childminder for two days and my husband was off with her for the first week after my op. Last week I managed, although wasn't easy.

Try to rest as much as you possibly can x

• Posted

Try and purchase a sitz bath. You can fill it with warm water and straight after the BM place it over the toilet bowl and sit in the water (I added an antiseptic Betadine) for 15-20 mins. Relaxes the muscles and helps with cleaning and pain. Luckily I also have a hose spray beside the toilet so can rinse down them sit on mine. I only needed mine the first week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.