hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Please please please help me. I'm on day 12 of a hemorrhoidectomy and my anus is all mis-shaped and looks awful. I don't think I will ever be able to get intimate again, as it's the most awful frightening shape. I feel traumatised.

Has anyone else got this problem? I feel like the surgeon has made a right botch job sad

I really wish I'd never of had this operation. If anyone is thinking about having it done, please don't unless it's absolutely necessary!!!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey, I had my op on June 29th and know exactly what you are going through. I am 15 weeks post surgery and am still worse than I was before I went in - way worse. (I also spent 10 days in hospital and had 3 blood transfussions) But you are in the very early stages right now. I would definately give it a lot more time - Try not to look anymore. That's going to make it worse. I would just concetrate on healing. Eating foods that are going to pass through you eaily so you don't strain anymore. After about 6 weeks- my doc mentioned she couldn't understand why the hydrocortisone hadn't reduced the swelling - I told her she'd never given me a perscription for hydrocortisone - so I was late starting that. There are suppositories - perscription only in the US. Known as Anusol in UK, Aus and Canada and over-the-counter. and also an ointment. I'm not sure if this is helping or not. 

A lot of people on here say that the recovery is a lot lot longer than we are originally told. At 12 days you are still in very early stages. See what your doc says but I also wouldn't panic yet - it's early.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. I never got any hydrocortisone cream either. What's that to help with? I was just given stool softener & fybogel. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow so will ask her about it.

I'm actually pain free (ish) until I have a b/m, then I'm in pain for a few hours afterwards. Today it was about 4 hrs. Is this normal? Lucky I've only been going the loo every other day.

As for my anus, I thought it would be 'round' but it has been cut in such an odd shape that I really don't think it will heal any better. I am having flashbacks of looking at it, so I will try not too look for a couple of weeks!! I take it this isn't normal.... or is it??

This is the worst thing I have ever done in my life, I wish the surgeon had told me what to expect. He just said it would be painful & I would need 2-3 wks off work.

• Posted

Hi, I am 17 days post op and still have a swollen lump, although I do think it's slowly going down with the hydrocortisone. My surgeon said I had to use it 3x a day for 5/6 weeks along with the stool softeners.

• Posted

Hi there, it will be 3 weeks for me next Thursday 15th Dec. The surgeon gave me hydrocortisone cream to use about 20 years ago to shrink the haemorrhoids. This did the trick , THEN... That was because they were small THEN. It certainly helped at that time.

i still have a tiny lump sticking out of my anus, which is sore and I have been using the hydrocortisone cream today, but so far no effect. Not sure if it is another haemorrhoid, or just post operative swelling???? Anyone any ideas.......???

• Posted

Hi June, it could be from the op. I've got two, which I thought were more hems, but my surgeon said it was skin left over from the op and could settle down and shrink or even disappear. It's 2 1/2months post op for me and they haven't gone down in size. I'm trying not to worry about them because once I'm completely healed, then I will reassess the situation and if they are still there, then I will be asking for them to be taken away!!

• Posted

Thanks for this info hope my one disappears by the time I see the surgeon end December. It gets sore as I walk and after a BM. Still no pain killers today, the 1 st day 😄

• Posted

Hey Carl! I had my surgery on July 28th and I agree the recovery is long and painful. I'm still in constant pain and anus looks distorted but I'm hopeful. The recovery is definitely longer than the six weeks the doctors say. Just hang in there! From the posts I've read it seems that it does get better. Just focus on eating healthy and don't stress. Good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I do feel traumatised by the whole experience & am trying hard to concentrate on healing. Let's hope it was worth it. Good luck everyone on your recovery x

• Posted

Just an up-date & hopefully reassure others reading around this type of surgery. I went to see my GP today and although she didn't examine me, from my description all seems to be 'normal' down below.

Apparently they leave everything open to heal, so in time it will stitch back together & look ok. I'm not sure how long that will take; after all it is being opened up on a regular basis when going the toilet, but we'll see.

GP has agreed for me to go back to work on a phased return (4hrs per day) & given me some Glycerin suppositories to help regulate my b/m so I'm not in work when I need to go the toilet & also some diclofenac suppositories to reduce the swelling & pain.

Has anyone used these types of suppositories? I'm a bit nervous to put them up there, but hopefully they will help get me back to normal. X

• Posted

this is very interesting thanks for the info might try what you suggest. 
  • Posted

I really feel for you as I would never have had the surgery if they had been honest with me about the possible outcome.  The op. was 2 and a half months ago and I've been admitted to hospital three times since, unable to pass urine or faeces.  It has been agonising pain - 10 times worse than giving birth breech and even breaking my back.  I also have skin outside my anus - it looks a bit like a flower with stubby petals all around it.  You are very early into your recovery but I don't think what you are experiencing is unusual.  I hope that everything will be straightforward for you from now on. I take it that you have youth on your side whereas I'm 69, although fit and healthy until I had this surgery.

• Posted

Omg that's awful Dee. I don't understand why they aren't more informative and honest about this type of operation. My experience is probably similar to most and is probably not that bad compared to others (like yourself), yet I feel so feel traumatised by the whole experience.

I hope things start to improve for you and we all get back to good health xx

• Posted

I absolutely agree that the surgeon should give you better information.  Mine just said that I'd be quite sore for two weeks.  Even when I told him that I have a mega colon and it is normal for me to open my bowels only every 4 or 5 days with hard stools his reply was, "Not a problem."  But it has, of course, been a major problem.  With the right information I would never have agreed to this surgery.  I wish I had found this website beforehand.  Even my GP has suggested that I put in a complaint to the hospital so maybe I will once I emerge from the other side of this awful experience.  I'm sure your recovery will be much swifter than mine and I wish you well.

• Posted

Yes I was told it's painful & would need 2/3 weeks off work. I guess I was kind of niaive about the level of pain, but to be fair, it's not that bad. It's more around b/M's and the pain after them, which has been hours; even with pain relief. Plus the shock of actually seeing what they've done down there!!

There should be an information pack so people can make an informed decision; I don't think I would of gone through with it if I'd of known all the details.

Oh well, what's done is done, I guess all we can do is look after ourselves and pray!!

Good luck x

• Posted

I can honestly say apart from the small swelling which I'm treating with hydrocortisone after 8 days I personally did not have any issues. I think everyone heals differently but my surgeon has been open and honest and any questions gave me his mobile number and I messaged him once and he replied immediately. My surgeon gave me a worst case 5/6 week scenario about pain and recouperation. I think he was covering himself. All surgeons should be more open. Wishing all of us a speedy recovery and resolution of any lumps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.