hemorrhoidectomy patient experience

Posted , 21 users are following.

I am not one to share like this however I found this board useful/frightening when researching about hemorrhoidectomy surgery. After reading many of the patient experiences I wanted to run and was petrified of going ahead with the surgery.  I am now POD 7 and thought I would share my positive experience to help balance out some of the scary stories.

I am a young healthy woman in my 30s, approximately 10 years ago I developed a fissure and hemorrhoids requiring a sphincterotomy and hemorrhoid banding.  I have since been banded an additional two times with no success.  I finally decided to pull the trigger and saw a colorectal surgeon who diagnosed me with stage 3 hemorrhoids.  He felt that surgical intervention was necessary and we opted for a stapled hemorrhoidectomy as it has a faster recovery time.  I was warned to plan on taking minimum two weeks off of work and perhaps even more as I am a medical professional and work 12 hours days and am on my feet for long hours.  

Prior to delving into my surgical experience I should divulge two pieces of information.  My hemorrhoids caused discomfort which is why I went forward with the procedure so baseline I am used to experiencing rectal discomfort and have been told by many that I have a high pain threshold.  Secondly I had a fissure.  If you have had one then you understand that it makes bowel movements horrifically, take your breathe away painful.  So all pain moving forward is compared to that as the baseline.

Alright so here we go....about a week prior to surgery I started taking colace and fiber pills.  Starting 3-4 days before surgery I cut out all red meats and dairy and started eating pretty light.  I went in for the procedure which took about 45 minutes.  When I woke up I was informed that due to the severity of my hemorrhoids I required an excisional hemorrhoidectomy, so I was prepared for a bad recovery.  When I woke up i felt uncomfortable and immediately asked for pain meds to get on top of the pain.  

I was definitely uncomfortable for the first two days and required pain meds around the clock.  I set my alarm to wake up overnight so that I wouldnt fall behind.  I spent the majority of the first two days lying on the couch and stuck to fruit and soup.  I didnt have any bleeding.  I did find that it was difficult to initiate urination and at times had to run the faucet to assist.  After almost 48 hours without a bowel movement I spoke to my doctor and he suggested milk of magnesia.  When I had my first bowel movement it was definitely uncomfortable.  THe pain was more of a stinging overstimulation (best way I can describe it).  I quickly hopped into the tub which did alleviate some of the pain.  Each day I have found that I feel better and better.  My appetite has improved.  I am still eating lots of fruits and vegetables and staying away from dairy and red meats.  I continue with colace and fiber and have been taking milk of magnesia if I dont have a bowel movement for more than 24 hours.   I am now a week out and am taking 1-2 percocet a day.  While I am still mildly uncomfortable aside from post bowel movements I am fairly comfortable.  I have been going on walks the past few days to build back my strength and I am planning to go back to work in another five days.

Although every experience is different and I cant promise that yours will be like mine, I wanted to encourage everyone debating the procedure that there are positive experiences.  I was definitely prepared for the worst and pleasantly surprised at how well I have done.  Please feel free to ask questions and good luck!

7 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Happy to hear you had a decent experience so far.. I hope when I get my hemorrhoidectomy done that I heal well as you did. I'm still scared because of the stories I read on here but I really need it done. Did you have a hard time going to the bathroom when you got constipated or did the milk of magnesia help that alot?

• Posted

Milk of Magnesia was great.  It resulted in a bowel movement everytime.  My doctor told me to take 2 tsp every 6 hours until I had  success.
    • Posted

Ok thank you.. I don't wanna get constipation I hear everyone say that makes potty time way worse uuugh!!

• Edited

Thanks for sharing this!

I'm having this surgery tomorrow morning, and I have been a raving lunatic due to stress. This board has seriously got me in a state of trepidation. I'm hoping my experience will be positive as well.

How much time off did you take? Do you think o shall be able to go to a 3 hour class 6 days post op?

Thanks again for shaing and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

No problem!  Good luck tomorrow!  I think its doable but wont be comfortable.  You will definitely needs pain meds and a pillow.  I would have a back up plan in case you cant make it.  I took two weeks off of work, but again I am on my feet at work and I work 12 hour days.  I also cant leave midday if I am not doing well and cant take any opiods while I work.     
  • Posted

Yes we need some positive experiences when people Google these type of stories! I just had my two week check up yesterday with my surgeon after having 3 large internal prolapsed hemorrhoids removed all right on the inside of my butthole, and I'm doing great!! I don't hurt, I feel slight discomfort of the BM is harder but I started feeling this way on day 10! I'm not going to lie the first week was very excruciating but we all live to tell our stories after it all. We make it through, and one day look back, and say ah it wasn't that bad because we are finally hemorrhoid free, and don't have to deal with those along with right after surgery. It will all be okay everyone smile

• Posted

Hi how are you feeling now? I did mine but theres like swelling of multiple lumps now wonder if it is normal

• Posted

I had two lumps down there as well after but they finally went away! My butt looked horrible after surgery. So so gross and scary looking but now it looks completely normal. I feel great. I have no pain. The only thing I struggle with now is trying to keep my stool soft. It's either watery or hard. I can't get it to be soft. sad

• Posted

Hi Heaven, you mentioned in your post about your butt looking horrible after surgery. Seriously, I have been traumatised by how they have cut me... it looks like a four leaf clover 🍀

My GP has said that they don't sew this bit, so in time it will heal over normal.

Sorry to be personal, but was yours distorted and cut in an odd shape and is it a 'normal round' shape now?! Thanks

• Posted

Hi mrnyc,

Thank you for yor post ,

I am 22 years old my doctor advise me to go for surgey .and I'm confuse whether to do it or not .

I'm scared in a word "surgery .

Just want some adv. Do you think i should go and obey doctor on that ? Thanks

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

If you are worried you can always get a second opinion.  In my experience  if you are going to require surgery eventually its better to do it earlier rather than later.  You will most likely have an easier recovery the younger you are.  

• Posted

Thank you for the advice i apprecieate it a lot . yeah i could think of that option as well .

• Edited

Just an update...I am just shy of three weeks post-op and feel almost back to normal. I have not required any pain medication in a week and am back to working a normal schedule.  I have no discomfort when I sit and minimal discomfort when I got to the bathroom that quickly resolves.  There is hope for you all!
    • Posted

Have you gone hemorrhoid surgey before ? Anyway thanks for giving hope .

• Posted

Hello smile I have had a very similar experience to you. I am now post 19 days. My worry is (although very personal), my butt hole has been cut in a very unusual shape. Is this normal or Have I been butchered? Will it heal back to a normal round shape??

I would really appreciate the response from others.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.