Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. I am wondering if anyone could share with me their recovery time for a hemorroidectomy?

I'm scheduled to have one on thursday the 16th.I'm a college student, and I'm hoping to be back in class by the following Wednesday (6 days post op)

I'm terrified about this! I have two small children and a busy life. However, I have stage iv thrombosed internal and external hemorrhoids right now. I was seen in the ER for them this week and was quickly referred to a surgeon who said they must be surgically removed.

I'm happy to be rid of these. They've been plaguing me for years. But I'm worried about the recovery time. I've read many different things. I'm 30 years old and in reasonably good health. Will I really need to be home and bed bound for 2 weeks?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, all the best to you.

With recovery, important thing to note is discovery time really depends many different factors.

I had one 4wks ago and I'm 99% now. I stayed in bed for abt a wk and 2nd week I was very comfortable doing normal activities. You can refer to my post earlier. Lemme know if you have more questions - happy to share.

• Posted

It took me 4 weeks to get back to work. I'm still not good still bleed so hurts like I got a cut there. I'm going for a second opinion this week I wish I would have never done it. I'm 31 former athlete was in great shape. It just depends but get it done by a colorectal surgeon and make sure they're experience. Good luck oh and it's been 7 months for me since surgery.

• Posted

I live in Wyoming, so the only person I could have do it in my town is a general surgeon, not a colorectal surgeon. It is also the only surgeon covered by my insurance. 

I'm in quite a bit of pain already with my thrombosed hemorrhoids. I cant even get the big one to shrink down or be pushed back in. Its pretty painful to have a bm. 

Although I am scared, I do think i'll have the surgery. At this point, I was told by two doctors that it is my only option. Some people say they are up and moving by day 4 or 5, so I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. 

I went through my school's university disability support services lest I run into issues with my recovery. I have told my professors I'd try to be back the wednesday following surgery. I just had a death in the family which caused me to miss class, so I am of course worried about missing more class since I am scheduled to graduate with my BA this semester. 

I get my insurance from the school, so if I do not do it now, I don't know when it'll get done because I dont know when I'll have insurance again. 

Thanks for your replies! I will be sure to follow up here with my experience. 

• Posted

I understand mine were just out after I used the restroom and then they would go back up but they impeded with my every day life. A general surgeon probably can do it I just say a colorectal surgeon because they strictly do that type of surgery. Most people that I have talked stiffest there problem with the general surgeon is they take to much tissue leading to stenosis. But in your case I would move forward it sounds like this affects your daily life. I would suggest cleansing a week before and go on a strict diet leading up to surgery. Baths helped tremendously and tucks wipes. I couldn't walk for nearly a month. But that just goes to show that some people are different again I have been a personal trainer I eat correctly and do everything right before this and still had complications so it just depends on your bodies healing response. Pray on it and get it done. Again I'm 7 months past and still have bad days where it hurts to sit after I use the restroom. I have seen some people that feel good two weeks later and some people that develope complications and it takes years. Keep me updated and if you have any questions please feel free to ask I guess I'm sorta an expert in this now I have had a stapled hemorroidectomy and a full stitched hemorroidectomy so I been through hell to say the least. ..I only hope one day I'm normal again lol...

• Posted

Help!! I am 20days after my op. I don't even know what they've removed as my surgeon popped in for about 5 seconds & said he had done as much as he could!!! I go back in 2 wks to find out. In the meantime I've been left traumatised with an open wound to my anus which looks like I've been opened up with a ginger bread man cookie cutter!!

Is it normal to be cut in an odd shape?? Will this ever heal back to a normal 'round' shape?

I feel so low sad

• Posted

Honestly I hope that you are well enough to get back to school then but you may be putting a lot on yourself. I had hemmorhoidectomy and anal fissure surgery and had complications I am now 10 weeks post op. I was off work for 9 weeks. I have a pretty physical job and couldn't do anything for about the first 5 or 6 weeks. I really don't want to scare you but the pain I had was really bad.

Please, please make sure you get pre-op instructions that have you 'clean-out' your body before your op. I was sent the wrong instructions. You need to make sure you do the right laxatives and don't eat or what ever they ask you to do the day before so you do not need to go to the bathroom immediately following surgery.

Make sure you have another adult at home with you preferbly for 48 hrs after surgery. My best friend was by my side every minute, i was vomitting all night after surgery and hospitalized the next day. Many people on here have good results and you may see an unbalanced number of bad results on here as we are the people who come looking for help and answers.

I really hope things go well for you. Take as much time as you can to recover - even if it's only a few days - plan to do nothing on thse days. You are going to be sore and uncomfortable. 

• Posted

My pre-op instructions include a full clense. I am getting a colonoscopy done at the same time. So I am on a low fiber diet for three days, then liquids, and i must drink a full bottle of miralax with gatorade, and if that doesnt clean my out completely, I need to drink another bottle. 

My husband took a week off to help me. I've discussed doing skype with my professors if I find my recovery takes longer than a week. So really I am hoping for the best, but preparing myself also for the possibility I may need to take more time off and may even end up in the hospital. I've told my husband this too. Hopefully it goes well! Three more days! I am actually excited to get these things cut out of me. I can barely have a BM right now due to the thrombosed ones, so I think it is time I do something about this. They've been plaguing me for about six years. 

• Posted

should I ask for flexeril or a muscle relaxer for spasms? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.