Henoch-Schonlein purpura in adults

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello.

I have had a rash on my lower legs for around 3 weeks and my GP or hospital cannot diagnose what it is.

I had HSP when I was 3 years old but the doctors are sure that the condition is so uncommon in adults (I am now 35) that It would ne unusual to get it twice so far apart.

Anyone else had HSP more than once.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had to look up HSP and found this:  Henoch-Schönlein purpura, which is, I assume, what you are talking about.

Have you recovered now?  It says that it often goes away without treatment but, it also said it is a result of the autoimmune system not working properly.  I wondered how you are now and whether you have developed an autoimmune condition of some sort?

Hope all is well

• Posted

Hi,

Not sure if you'll see this or not. I've had it off and on for about 12 years.

I've gone as long as five years without it before.

-Karen

• Posted

I began having flare ups in my early 30's. I haven't had one for about five years until a few months ago. It's only now tapering off.

It is uncommon in adults, but you should find a new doctor who is willing to investigate and make sure you don't have kidney issues.

Take care.

• Posted

I first got it last year as a adult 48     it is something ur stuck with my docs tell me   can come and go. Mine got to far progessed before they knew what it was. it took heavy steriods and chemo drugs to get it under control.
  • Posted

Hi

I am a 59yr old woman literally just diagnosed today with HSP. Has anyone controlled the symptoms through changing their diet? Can anyone recommend cream for the rash? I currrently don't want to think about taking tablets, but would like to find out all I can about this condition.

I currently seem to have a mild version which has appeared as a rash on my legs and buttocks, and has apparently caused a rectal thrombosed pile. Not a great topic for discussion I guess, but has anyone else had rectal problems?

Thanks!

• Posted

yes I got to the point where I had a lot of bleeding amd it was due to the part of lower intestine to where it conected on to the collin.  The chemo drugs help clear it up along with the steriods
    • Posted

Hi

thanks for the reply. I think part of my problem is going to be that i have had cancer and I did not react well to chemo drugs! Every time I had chemo I had to stay in hospital for about a week as I was constantly throwing up. I can't function on chemo drugs and refused Tamoxifen once I'd finished chemo and radio due to the side effects. I am currently in remission cancer wise, but can't imagine a life taking chemo drugs. Good to hear they help you though!

• Posted

I think it is possible. Have you had any major upsets recently? During your childhood how was your health generally? did you suffer from low immune system lots of colds, sore throats, joint pains, urine problems, or anything like that? can anything you might of considered normal be linked I wonder. Please have a good think about this. Do you suffer from fatigue? interested further in your story thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.