Hepatitis B vaccination cause of chronic sinusitis??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Over 2 years ago I got a sinus infection which became chronic sinusitis at the time I and my GP had no idea what caused it. It affected my ears so badly that I couldn't hear anything, although luckily I had no pain!

I had a scan and it showed my sinuses severely blocked up so my GP refered me to an ENT consultant and it was decided I should have sinus surgery to unblock and widen my sinuses. The surgery went well and I got my hearing back. Unfortunately over a year after surgery I still get nasal congestion and feel stuff in the back of my throat which is worse in the mornings and evenings.

2 years ago I had some vaccinations before going abroad one of which was the Hepatitis A and B combined jab. It was about a week after having this jab that I got my sinus infection, at the time I just thought it was a coincidence.

This Summer we went abroad and I was talking to a lady who told me she had a really bad sinus infection which she believes was caused by having the Hepatitis B vaccination! She said she was given antibiotics by her GP and that her ears were really blocked up, which was exactly the same as my symptoms!

We both said that we were fine before we had the jabs!

Coincidence or not?!

I've tried googling it to try and find a link but can't find anything online. I've talked to my GP about it and although she said there is no documentation about it causing this kind of side affect, its not impossible. She said maybe we just don't know about it yet as not many people have reported it.

Just wondered if there is anybody else out there who has had the Hep B jab and then got a sinus infection?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

anything possible with the human body

the doctors would say a women can't bleed during pregnancy but women do

they say so many things but they themselves don't really know.

the name general practitioners sums up their knowledge.

only you and those are affected know what you feel or are experiencing right now, best thing to do is 

1. Document your finds

2. Share your findings

3. Find others with the same experience 

4. Change of environment 

5. Research 

i wish you you all the best 

• Posted

I have had chronic severe sinus problems which started 1 week after getting the Hep B vaccine. 5 MONTHS STRAIGHT ALREADY!!! It's awful and exhausting.
    • Posted

Thats interesting, because your now the 2nd person to tell me this. When I brought this up with my GP she said she wasnt aware of any side effects like this, but she said it doesnt mean its not possible, it could just be that not enough people have reported it, so the medical profession arent aware of it. I think people might not connect the symptoms with the Hep B jab and just think its a coincidence! I think more people should report this to their GPs because I really think the Hep B vaccine started all my sinus problems, because before I had it Id never had any previous history of any sinus infections, NEVER in all my life until then! The weird thing is my Husband and Daughter both had the same vaccine and didnt have any problems! So it must just affect certain people
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl...sorry to hear all you have gone through...I dont actually have any experience of Hep B jab, but do u mind me asking you how the surgical experience was for you...Ive had nasal congestion for years now and think may need surgery but heard its quite unpleasant and not always successful...thank u
    • Posted

Its not very pleasant and it is only supposed to be day surgery, you should be in and out in the same day. But for me I kept bleeding! The bleeding just wouldnt stop! So I actually ended up staying in hospital for 3 days! There werent enough beds on the ENT ward so they had to put me on a surgical ward, which wasnt ideal. Even after I was sent home I still kept bringing up and spitting out big blood clots, but thats normal apparently. Took quite a long time for me to fully recover. Even though the surgery was sucessful in widening my sinuses, I still have problems and Im susceptible to sinus infections and my GP thinks I always will be now. The big difference is, that my sinuses dont get all blocked up like they did before and my ears dont get blocked up because it can now drain away easier. If Id known what I know now I still would of had the surgery, because I was at the stage where I could hardly hear anything and it was really distressing for me. Hope this helps Carol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.