Hepatitis c

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have just read in newspaper if you had blood transfusion before 1991 you should be tested for hepatitis c as I had one in 1974 after birth of my son do you think that it would be relevant to me as it's been so long ago

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia I also had 2 blood transfusions one in 1979 after a car accident and one in 1982 after the birth of my oldest son by c-section.  I was also raped a few years ago and was recently tested. I have it and am in the process of being treated there is a cure if you are diagnoised with genotype -1 which is what I have.  The doctors are not sure if it was the blood transfusions or the rape.  My doctor also told me anyone born between 1945 and 1965 should be tested.  I would get tested if I were you just to be on the safe side.  I have no liver damage so I was lucky they found it when they did.  I know this post is over a year old but if you haven't been tested please do get tested it will ease your mind..
  • Posted

Yes, you should get tested. People discover they have HepC after years and years living with it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.