herbal remedies and reactions to arthriitis medications

Posted , 4 users are following.

I gave a friend thirty capsules that contained alfalfa, celery seed, devil's claw, burdock root, yucca, and sasparilla.  My friend was on them for a week at two a day.  He had a stroke.  He is, no doubt on arthritis medications.  Would any of these herbs contribute to the stroke?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Davis,

I'm not a doctor or herbalist.

"A stroke occurs when the blood supply to your brain is interrupted or reduced. This deprives your brain of oxygen and nutrients, which can cause your brain cells to die.

A stroke may be caused by a blocked artery (ischemic stroke) or the leaking or bursting of a blood vessel (hemorrhagic stroke). Some people may experience only a temporary disruption of blood flow to their brain (transient ischemic attack, or TIA)"

I would not think any of those herbs would cause the stroke. I supposed it could have hurried it up, but what I have read, he was likely to have a stroke anyway.  OR it could have interacted badly with his meds, but I don't know.  

Are you worried you are to blame? Is he blaming the herb?  

• Posted

I am worried, because I never asked him to check with his physician first.  I have cancer and take many of the same herbs, but in much highe.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate it.
    • Posted

You are not at fault for the stroke.  If he chose to take the herbs without checking with his doc, that is his responciblity, not yours. However, because he is your friend, I can see where you would be concerned. Life is a learning lesson; next time you will be more thoughtful and say, "check with your doc first".  But still, it is not your fault.  Try not to worry, just be a friend for him when he needs you the most.  Be kind to your you.  

Hugz

• Posted

Morning David;  I, too, cannot give you a Definitive answer, but also add that what Dee has said is very true.  Also, I feel that it is more likely that your friend's Arthrites medications may be more of a cause than your herbs, as there are many anti-inflammatories that have been taken off the market here in Australia and the USA, for the very reasons that they were known to cause stroke/heart attacks   (one being Vioxin which worked wonderfully on Arthrites pain, but was declared to cause the same issues.....also any drug  containing asprin or a dirivative of same, is enough to  cause a stoke if taken with Arthritic medications).

?So, please don't berate yourself, just continue to be his friend, as he will need  friendship as he comes to terms with his "new" life.       confusedBron

• Posted

Hi David, I know you have to be careful with herbal meds, it might be worth you going into your health food shop or better still google it. regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.