Here I go!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had chronic hemmorhoids for 10 years (I'm 29).  Well, 5 days ago, I had a bowel movement at work that left me in the all too familiar cold sweats!  Only this time, it was different.  I was left with what I've long had: a burning, shearing feeling at the front of my anus with two very large lumps, and an irritated feeling that would sting as I tried to stand up.  The straighter I stood, the worse it stung.

I called up a doctor after the weekend for an appointment at a Gastroenterologist as soon as possible which was yesterday.  He tells me that I need it taken care of (though he seems to have ignored--after I told him--the now-minimized mounds at the front of my anus).  He recommends me to the surgeon in the same building who looks and says, "Eh, it's not that bad.  I wouldn't recommend surgery; try a steroid cream."

Well, that night I had a bowel movement and OMG!  The twin peaks came roaring back and that irritation turned mad!  I called a doctor while at work for an immediate appointment with a surgeon with a better rating.  He takes the time to actually looks and spread em and says, "Well theres not much you can do in here for this, and these aren't going away on there own.  You have a grade 4 prolapse incarcerated internal hemorrhoid, which is what is giving you the pain right now.  This is going to die off on its own, but it could take a long time.  The other ones are thrombosed hemorrhoids which have a skin tag.  There's not much we can do in here for this either; we can talk about management, unless you want them gone..."

"I want them gone!"

"That's what I'd recommend; we can set you up tomorrow."

And sweet Jesus, relief will be coming.  I know they say the pain is horrible, but I really can't imagine it being anymore worse than the thrombosed son of a gun I have to deal with for EVERY BM.  Even so, to deal with it on pain killers is much more desirable than:

Bleeding

Leakage

Staining underpants and needing to wash jeans

Packing underwear

Sever pain with no pain killers

Fear to poop

Hard to pee with this prolapse

My God I can't wait!

I'll let you know how it goes and my support goes out to all of you braving it and having braved it!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had heomhroidectomy twice best thing I ever done but think maybe one is coming back or wasn't noticeable to remove I lost a lot if blood with mine even needed blood transfusion x x message me anytime

• Posted

Oh my gosh I'm sorry to hear!  How long ago?

I made sure these docs new about that one with the mound...by far the most painful of the two, but it subsides so much that it might now be visible when I get checked.  I also sat on a toilet like an hour before the procedure to get it a bit irritated.

• Posted

Also, thank you for the encouragement.  I'll probably message you a couple of times over the next 3 weeks lol.

• Posted

Hi Hodgey

I had exactly the same as you ! The prolapse is just the worst feeling ever I feel your pain !

It isn't nice the first week , but it does get easier ! I'm 3 months On ! I can honestly say I'm glad I had it done ! As The Hems and prolapse were taking over my life !

There are a couple of things I'd use to help with recovery :

Hot water bottle

Ice packs

Sitz Bath

Plenty of warm baths

V-Pillow

Drink plenty of water

Eat fibre fruit and veg

Rest as much as you can

As welll as all the Pain meds laxatives and stool softners !

This forum was also my biggest help ! You are not alone in this we can help you through this time and answer any questions'

Take care today and speak soon

Xx

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement; I'm very grateful for this form.

Yup, the prolapse was killing my ability to do anything, including peeing.

This was very helpful as I saw your response right before heading in for surgery.

• Posted

Day 0

I was able to leave at about 2 (my appt began at 11).  Doctors and staff were very nice and encouraging.  Since I've been home, I've had my high fiber meal; I ate two things of peanut butter crackers and had a diet soda.  That's the last splurge for me, and I'll probably pay for it tonight as my body is gearing up for a BM.  I took a sitz bath to help loosen that area, but haven't gone to the pot,  (I'm kinda fearful to be honest).

I have one pill of pain med but haven't taken the Miralax just yet.  Now, I'm lying here just reading; my body has had enough moving around today so it's telling me so.

Overall pain, probably a 3.  No worse than the prolapse though.

• Posted

Oh yes, my hemmorhoid turned out to actually be the same one.  It was both thrombosed during bowel movements and it was incarcerated outside of my anus.

He also removed 2 internal hemmorhoids that I had as well.

So here's to good BM after reccovery.

• Posted

Sounds very similar to mine , I had internal external and prolapse doc said it was only op would sort it !

I would take the miralax as it will help with that first b/m keep on top of the pain meds to as it will also take the edge of the first b/m too !

Xx

• Posted

I actually had my first and second BM's today!  I won't lie, I'm sore.  I'm on a one pain pill treatment first taking both Miralax and Milk of Magnesia.  I've also been eating Bran with a literal Raisin Bran mixed in.

However, this soreness is still not as bad as my flare-ups I was getting and waiting out that amount of blood and pain.  It's currently 1 am here, but my sleep schedule is a bit thrown off.

The primary difference in bowel movements is that these tend to sap my energy.  I can't wait for that to stop.

• Posted

I remember those flare ups 😬 they were just the worst feeling ever !

You have to rest lots , as your energy will be low for a while !

Xx

• Posted

Day 1

So this is my update for today.  I'm about half over day 1 and am sitting in a sitz bath after having my 3rd or 4th bowel movement.  Luckily, these have been very soft so it moves quickly.  I though about taking GasX, but have determined that the gas is actually helping me empty better and faster.

As far as pain, the only real pain I have is the "raw" feeling that I think is just from the types of BM (soft) that I'm having and rewashing the area.

I've got two steroids to apply daily, once in morning, once at midday, and once at evening.  I'm taking both Miralax and Milk of Magnesia at night (though I use Miralax more than once last night, until my wife informed me of the instructions: just once at night)

I'm sleeping quite a bit; I'm taking only one pain killer and one muscle relaxer at a time.  As for napping, I wake up having to pee REALLY bad, but I can't go that much, because I can't get my body to push out the pee.  So, while I can pee, not much is able to come at a time...but generally more comes after a BM.

All in all, still not as painful as that damn hemorrhoid.

I wish you all well!

• Posted

Oh yes; my body does ache a bit and any pressure down there from what will be a future BM causes me to slouch.  Thus when I do walk, I'm bent of like I have back issues.

• Posted

Hi Hodgey

Glad the b/ms are Going ok , i would keep an eye on the peeing , I didn't suffer with that but everyone recovers differently!

Yes the walking was an issue for me too! That calmed down by about week 5 !

Sounds like your recovery is going good

Lisa

X

• Posted

Hello Lisa,

I was hoping I could get your thoughts on this.

I was applying my steroid cream, and I noticed that I have a similarly shaped bump in the same region as the spot where i had two hemorrhoids.  Do you think this is normal?  I don't notice 2; only 1.  I'm really hoping it's not a hemorrhoid that my doc missed but is instead just a swelling that will subside.

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Hodgey

Yes it is completely normal , it's a skin tag /bridge ! I also have it I also thought at beginning it was a hem! The surgeon has said it will go but he said after a couple of weeks ! Which it hasn't !

It don't hurt and I wouldn't know it was there , i just don't like it there!

I hope this helps, I know other people also have a skin tag left after the operation!

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I was hoping I could ask about your recovery.  The last two days, I've gotten a severe swelling/pain outside of my anus.  I just now took a photo of it and it appears scabbed over and yellow.  Was this normal for you?  It hurting pretty badly as well.  The pain is certainly the worst I've had during recovery, though it isn't stinging as I have bowel movements.

Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.