Hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had the motiity test..........awlful....and Thrsday I see the surgeon to perhaps set a date for hetial hernia surgery.  Can someone help me make my mind up by then?. I have been looking at positives and negatives but what  do you say?.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

In UK, hiatus hernia repar by itself is not frequently undertaken. Hiatus hernias are actually quite common in the population and frequently cause little or no problems. I guess it depends on the type and severity of your symptoms.

There are two types of hernia; the most common is the sliding (or type 1) hernia (95%) where some of the cardia (the part of the stomach directly connected to the oesophagus) has pushed through the hiatus (hole in the diaphragm) into the chest. The US guidelines say, "Repair of a type I hernia in the absence of reflux disease is not necessary."

Type 2, paraoesophageal (or rolling) hernia is when some of the fundus (top sac) of the stomach has rolled up through the hiatus beside the oesophagus.

US guidelines say, "All symptomatic paraesophageal hiatal hernias should be repaired" but "routine elective repair of completely asymptomatic paraesophageal hernias may not always be indicated. Consideration for surgery should include the patient’s age and co-morbidities."

Both types of hiatus hernia can result in reflux since they impair the functioning of the muscles of lower oesophageal sphincter and the diaphragmatic ligament.

Hiatus hernia repair by itself may not be permanent as the hernia can slide back.

If reflux is the problem, it's better to combine hiatus hernia repair with a fundoplication where the fundus is wrapped around the repositioned oesophagus (ie having repaired the hernia). Apart from effectively tightening the lower oesophageal sphincter, the bulk of the wrap stops any reherniation through the hiatus.

Whether to have a fundoplication (which automatically includes hiatus hernia repair) is probably best summed up by this conclusion of a study of patients followed for 20 years after having had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication: "95 per cent of patients confirmed they would have the operation again knowing what they know now." and another 20 year follow up study concluded: "Long-term results from the early experience with LNF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up."

I personally had a LNF and it gave me my life back.

• Posted

Hi Very interesting and informative.Im having my second para.hernia repair next week.Until they open me up they are not sure how much work there is to be done.It was mentioned there could be damage to oesophageus,from op,but will ask about fundoplication. Glad to hear you had such positive results.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the info. It's just what I need to make an informed decision. I wiil let hou know what happens tomarrow etc..
  • Posted

Hi David    Is it a hiatus hernia you are having? Not sure of test you mention,did it involve swallowing horrible liquid? Although its over a year since my last op I am having a hernia op again in 2weeks.This one is major surgery and have read risks but still having as its affecting my way of life.Very breathless as hernia pressing against lungs. Some hernias can be left alone if no problems but I would be guided by consultant.They do not advise surgery unless you really need it.Feel free to ask any questions  Best wishes  May
    • Posted

You are so helpful. Yes, alwful liquid. and tube down my nose. I see Dr. again Thursday....have a feeling he will say not bad enouph.The decision is a hd one but I will go with h advise.

Keep me posted on you.

• Posted

Hope all goes well thursday,away a few days but will keep in touch,good luck.
  • Posted

Hi David I'm in the same boat as you be a bit further along I had a pre-op in February having decided to go for the operation good old NHS as it is I'm still waiting and the longer it takes the more doubts I've got. I have a weak oesophagus and am having a partial op a 180 wrap as the surgeon fears a full 360 will leave me struggling to swallow. Do you get phlegm at night I get that and a blocked nose having to use nasal drops for over 12 months I've been told that is a symptom of stomach acid.
    • Posted

Thank you ssooooo much for repling.My symptioms are; have to streach esophagus every 3 years,hard to sleep with Gerd,stinging filling in that chest area,coughing some, useing nasal and eye spray. I have other issues so unsure of other symptoms of hernia.

Present; REFLUX/GERD WITH HIETIAL HERNIA NEAR DIAPHRAGM...motility test done. Diverticulitis. ADRENAL TUMORS.Stomach spasms A-Fib.Tightness in chest, and shallow breathing. Polyneuropathy 2015. Operation for L5 Disc herniation/ compression and traversing right S1 nerve root and a Synovial lumbar Cyst was removed 2015. Occipital Perifiral Neropathy and nerve stimulator in neck 2012 (so no MRI). Neurogenic bladder 2010, had Bladder stimulator but taken out later. Diabetis 1997 Inflammation of disc degeneration DX in 1996 Fusions at C-5 and C-7 and shoulder surgeries in ' 93 and '01. Malrotated stomach surgery at birth (scare tissue removed in 2004).

I see  Dr. thursday.

• Posted

Hi thanks you for so much detail a lot of what you have listed I have and my main reason for me deciding to get the operation is so I don't get worse I just worry about the operation going wrong as have read a lot of horror stories but the other option is to just keep taking the tablets and maybe get worse. Good luck with the doctor on Thursday keep me posted.

Ian

• Posted

Are we on the same page or what? I too am concernerd about the think getting worse. An once of prevention is.......... I am 65 man, how old are you? Tomarrow is just a day ahead, ha
    • Posted

Haha yeah dammed if you do dammed if you don't, if it was life threatening there would be no choice other than operate. I'm fifty I don't admit to that often 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.