Hernia problems?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having breathing issues for a couple of years now. I also have acid reflux and take 40mg Omprazole everyday. I have been to a pulmonoligist that says I have asthma that is causing these breathing problems but it gets to the point to where I am wheezing and can't breathe at all.  I feel like my chest area and below is like full of fluid or air. I was told in the summer that I have a hernia. Could all of this be from my acid reflux or the hernia? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi ell, I've also been having breathing problems which feel like there is gas/pressure under my ribs/diaphragm. I know it's not asthma though - I had asthma as a child and it's very different. I was too given omeprazole and also lanzoprazole (plus all the other medications like beta blockers etc a I still have a bag FULL of medications that didn't work). I have done all the gi tests you can think of - the only one I haven't done is a colonoscopy. Do you know what things aggravate your condition or indeed make it better?
    • Posted

It is to the point where I don't have to do anything to make it worse or better. It just seems to stay there now and I am having horrible leg cramps also.

• Posted

Asthma like symptoms may be the result of aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux.

I was told I had asthma (though knew it was as[irated reflux) and given inhalers that had no effect on me.

Acid suppressants are good for reducing acid hyper-secretion so anything refluxing is not so damaging, but they don't control the reflux.

I knew I had to stop the reflux and had a fundoplication which worked.

Find the DownWithAcid org uk site and scroll down the contents list to find the chapter on extra-oesophaeal reflux (listed below the main heading of Reflux). It will describe what is happening.

The following chapter on natural remedies tells you how to try and stop reflux. If it doesn't work, you may need to consider fundoplication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.