Herpes or Shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been told for years I have Shingles but now I am being told it is HSV-2.  I receive this reoccurence of this rash every month around my menustration time.  I normally get a bump or something on my vagina then after that goes away I get this rash on my right side on my hip area that looks like shingles outbreak.  The bump on my vagina is not painful.  However, the rash on my side is sharp shooting pains days before the rash appears then it finally blisters and scabs and goes away and is ishy the entire time even before the rash appears.  The Valtrex med does not stop the reoccurences.  The dr thinks I am nuts because I get this monthly and I am not exaggerating and sometimes I feel it is related to stress when my hormones are off or I am stressed about stuff.  This is ridiculous because the doctors dont know what to do and I cannot continue this way.  I have been married for 20 years and have had this issue for at least 8 years.  My husband has touched the area and yes we have sex when the rash is present in either area and yet he has no problems so it doesnt seem like either diagnostic is correct.  Does anyone have any thoughts???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get tested for hsv2
    • Posted

This is what I stated the dr now says I have after being treated for shingles for several years. But I guess the treatment is the same medicine anyways.  But I do not know how this could be what I have when my husband never has any issues and there is contact.  I dont understand how and why I have this and they say its for life. ugh Im so frustrated with this.  This cannot be for life.

• Posted

Were you actually swab tested and confirmed to have HSV2? Sounds like it is, but always better if diagnosed by test, not just a doctor saying so. Your husband could be an asymptomatic carrier or just very lucky to have not caught it thus far. It's possible for some couples to remain discordant for years, possibly always.

• Posted

It does sound like HSV for the most part... it's unusual to get it on other areas such as your hips, but not impossible...

I've had a person tell me it's traveled up their stomach...

I'd definitely get a swab test done just to have the correct diagnosis...

Best of luck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.