Herpis and hiv infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi dose anyone now if you have herips dose that mean in time I'll get hiv infection too I get really really sick when I have an outbreak and get really sore I also have anxioutes to so I really worry about everything and I'm worrying bout hiv's infection just coz I have herips and I get it bad and it makes me really ill that's what the doctor said that people with herips are more likely to get hiv infection than someone that dosesn't have herips has anyone else heard of this or has this happened to anyone I just need to know so I'm not worried so much thank

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Anything that causes genital ulcers increases the risk of HIV, but obviously only if you engage in risky behaviour with someone who has HIV.

Knowing which HSV type you have is also important. HSV-1, when fully healed, is not associated with increased risk for HIV. However, HSV-2 is (risk is doubled/tripled), for both men and women, even in the absence of visible lesions.

Those with HSV-2 have CD4 cells at or near the skin's surface, which is what HIV targets, thus putting such individuals at greater risk, even without visible lesions (besides which lesions may be microscopic/asymptomatic).

The best thing to do is to establish which type you have, avoid sex when lesions are present regardless of type, and practise safe sex. Choosing your partners wisely would also help (ask them to get tested for HIV, if possible).

• Posted

i don't think it's anything to do with CD4 being close to the skin, but i think it's something to do with the skin being open due to herpes sores. It doesn't really mater whether it's type 1 or 2 i think. Correct me if i'm wrong. Both infection makes it more susceptible to HIV.

But i don't really believe the text books or doctors. I believe that everyone is equally at risk of HIV if they have sex with an HIV infected person. Imagine how much friction occur during sex and how much skin breaks is caused by that. That's my own thoughts.

• Posted

Studies have indicated what I noted above, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. HSV-2 increases the risk of acquiring HIV by 2-3 times (some say 4 times) and it is no longer solely believed to be due to the presence of (visible) lesions. The CD4 aspect was part of another more recent study. This increased risk and CD4 business is not associated with healed/asymptomatic genital HSV-1.
    • Posted

i meant thanks for the insight. Type 1 is the good one lol
    • Posted

Yeah, you could say that. I was certainly hoping for Type 1, lol, but unfortunately was "gifted" with Type 2. Sucks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.