Hey, guys

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, everyone!

I decided to post a message on here, because in my next GP visit, which is on June 15th, I am going to ask him about diabetes, because I think there is a possibility I may have it. Be that as it may, know that I suffer from health anxiety / hypochondria, and am known to worry about things when there is no just cause.

I'm 28; admittedly, I am a bit overweight, I'm about 270 pounds. My grandmother and my greatmother both have diabetes, but they were both diagnosed late in life. I guess I don't know much about diabetes, so I am just looking as much information as possible? What are the early symptoms, the warning signs? Does it take long to diagnose? How much does it effect your daily life?

I appreciate any help you can provide me. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

There are no or few early symptoms of diabetes. There are few early warning signs except for some people extreme thirst and frequent urination. It issually very quickly diagnosed by a blood test, and a glucose tolerance test.  I had no symptoms before I as officially diagnosed  even though the blood tests suggested I was developing diabetes 2 years before it was officially diagnosed.

although your family history means you are at more risk of developing diabetes, the good news is that if you sort out your diet and get your weight to within a normal range, there is a high probability you wil not develop diabetes, or if you do, you will be able to manage it without medication. Is there any particular reason you think you may have diabetes?

• Posted

Hey, Gill,

I want to thank you for reading my message and for taking the time to reply. Honestly, the reason I think I have diabetes probably stems from the health anxiety, or "hypochondria", I suffer from. It often causes me to jump to conclusions, and to worry about things I ought not to worry about. I also worry because I am overweight, I do drink a lot of sugary drinks, and I do urinate quite a lot, although I have had a very weak bladder from birth, a lot of the men in my family have it, so that may just be a coincidence.

• Posted

To be honest David I think you should ask your GP for a blood test to rule out diabetes if only to put your mind at rest.  Whatever the result there are things youcan do to help yourself such as cutting out all yo0ur sugary drinks and trying very hard to lose weight and getting fitter. Do consider the low carb diet. It has helped many people in both losing weight and keeping blood sugars under control.

As far as health anxiety is concerned I am one of the fortunate ones.  I used to suffer from bad health anxiety but about 10 years ago I decided I was going to stop health anxiety ruining my life. I got rid of all my health books bar one, and decided I would only look up conditions once I had been diagnosed with one.  At the tiime I had 10 medically diagnosed health conditions and I now have 14 including diabetes Type 2 but I no longer worry about them. I also have 2 friends with severe health anxiety - one is beginning to get grips with it i the same way I did, the other does not believe it is possible to stop worrying about her health.  I actually do believe that with the right support it is possible to recover from health anxiety but it does take a lot of determination.

• Posted

You don't even need to talk to your GP about it, you can get some help / screening at your local larger pharmacy smile
    • Posted

Pharmacies can test for diabetes? I thought they only helped you monitor it.
    • Posted

Hey, again, Gill,

I think I will, seeing as diabetes can be struck off one of the many things I have by a simple blood test. And I am currently on a diet, which includes stopping fizzy drinks. The anxiety is awful, Gill, as I am sure you know. It consumes my every waking moment. Each little twinge in my body, each mole that looks slightly darker than the others, each headache, each sniffle, sends me into a blind panic and convinces me that I'm a goner. A goner... at 27 years old. Can you offer me some tips to beat health anxiety? What did you do?

• Posted

Yes, for example LloydsPharmacy offer a free screening service smile
    • Posted

Whilst it is true that Boots and Lloyds offer a screening service, if the BG is raised at all you would still have to go to the doctors for a formal diagnosis and so I would also prefer to go the doctors in the first place.
    • Posted

Hi ~David I think it might be easier to message you as dealing with anxiety is a very personal thing. Is that OK?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.