Hi

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well I'm 35 and almost 9 stone overweight and think it's about time I do something about it

I have been on every diet going since I was 16 so 19 years of dieting I need something a bit more drastic, dieting has worked previously but for only a few weeks so after reading for days and chatting to others I feel the gastric band is for me

I'm going to go and have a chat with my GP tomorrow but will be going private as have been told previously I don't qualify for NHS as other than being overweight im healthy,

Then my journey begins as the call will then be made to book a consultation, just wanted to put something on here incase someone else is at the same stage and could support eachother as I have read others do.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had my gastric band fitted through the hospital group 2 months ago. I spent two years researching and with a BMI of 42 I felt it would be the best option for me and I felt I knew what to expect. My recovery was great but I've only lost 2lbs in two months and my weight is still up and down by 3 lbs.

I've discovered that almost all unhealthy foods go down quite easy but healthy foods such as meat and salads are almost impossible to eat. I also rarely feel full up after a meal although I've only had one fill (total 3.4mls) and I know I may need 6 or more adjustments to get restriction enough to maintain weight loss. So as it stands it could take a year before I have restriction. In the meantime I'm dieting although this is hard as if I eat healthy foods I get pain and if I eat soft foods they slip through the band and I'm hungry.

I'm having to really try and get a hold of my eating habits much like I had the last 10 years with trying all the diets under the sun. Although this time I'm 5000 pounds down! I wanted to share this because despite all the stories I'd read etc I wasn't prepared for no weight loss, hunger and even weight gain.

Good luck on your journey whatever you decide!

• Posted

Thankyou isabella, I have read that it takes a very long time to get to your sweat spot but at least your over your op now and in the right direction,

I just need to keep telling myself that it's took 35 years to get to this size so it won't be an overnight fix

Good luck in your journey please keep me updated

• Posted

i had a band 8 yrs ago and also self funded because I did not realise it was available on the NHS however dont rule out the nHS completely cos you might just qualify however you will need to jump through some hoops and play the waiting game - if you are able to self fund this will undoubtedly be quicker - presumably you have lo0ked at the other types of wgt loss surgery and done some research into what would suit you best - look at all the pros and cons as none of them are a magic wand and they all have their negatives as well as the positives - its a life changing decision so important to get it right - what suits one person does not necessarily suit another and vice versa - a local support group would be a good place to meet people in a similar situation to yourself  and WLSinfo is a good place to get further info on the various options out there and also if you needed to do any further reseach - good luck
    • Posted

Thankyou for your advice and yes I have researched all the options and as I'm a single mom I need something that won't be a long healing process, two of my friends have had the surgery and have been very successful I just hope I will be too
  • Posted

Good luck

Try to press your gp to put you forward.

Probably won't work but worth a try.

My gp wouldn't refer me when asked either and I did have other issues. Asked my hospital consultant to get my gp to refer me in the end.

It was still very long winded though.

• Posted

Hi sim

I would love to have the surgery on the NHS but I don't want to wait I have now 100% made up my mind about having the procedure.

When I asked about it 2 years ago I was told unless I ever develop diabetes or joint problems I'd never be considered due to a postcode lottery.

I don't want that disappointment again

• Posted

I know how you feel.

I was willing to go private too but because of my other health issues I was worried about the consultant not having access to my medical history and problems that could result because of that.

I had to opt for the NHS and it has been a very long journey. Took nearly 3 years of appointments and group meetings etc before even getting banded.

Then unfortunately problems with the band resulted in no loss and waiting for it to be put right.

So three years from being banded I've now had adjustments done and have 5ml in my band.

It's still hard work but the hunger does subside. I don't eat as much and the weight is coming off

So go for it and be the new healthier you that you want

• Posted

Oh god that was a long process but ay least your on the right track now I hope it works for you.

I fantasise about being slim and about how I will feel and society would be kinder to me I wanted be where I dream if being by the age of 40

• Posted

I wish you all the best.

I had hoped to be fit at 40 too but its taken longer. I'm now 43 and can barely walk some days but I am not going to give up. I want to be around and see my children flourish.

My children are 16/14 and 11 and I feel that we're all missing out sometimes.

My daughter the eldest 16 and has just excelled in her GCSE with A* and A in all subjects. I want to be able to take them out and about more and celebrate it with them

• Posted

Wow you must be very proud of you daughter and your other children,

I have two girls 13 and 10 my earldest had an issue with eating at the beginning of the year a drastically lost a lot of weight just to fit in as she put it and being my size felt I was no help to her and kind of understood how she felt, I no longer want to be described as a BBW I just want to be anna

I have been on exantidiet before and was very successful so know the liquid diet will be hard but knowing I have done it before I know I can do it again as a good start to life with a band

• Posted

Sorry to hear that.

I think you will be fine. You seem to be focused.

All the best

• Posted

just to say that a liquid diet might be advised when you are newly banded but that will be just for the first few wks after that you will need to eat proper food that will sit in your pouch to give you that feeling of fullness - liquid will just go straight through and you will never achieve that full feeling which is how the band is designed to work.  For the first few wks after being banded I liquidised soups and meat and 2 veg type dinners to the consistency of baby good, also smoothies, yogs, sloppy weetabix and porridge - but aftter that period had passed I was onto a soft diet so that was stuff like sheps pie, fish pie, cottage cheese, mashed fruit and custard.  good luck with your journey  
    • Posted

Hi sim

Well I have been to the doctors and she was happy to refer me but said it would probably take a couple of years due to my good health so looks like I'll have to pay 😞, iv booked my consultation for September 3rd

• Posted

Yes it can be along process.

At least your doctor was honest with you.

Going private and paying will be a quicker alternative.

All the best for the 3rd

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.