Hi

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys.. Im a 14 year old girl. I jus found out that I have hemifacial spasm like yesterday. My lower lid started to like "forced" idkk it jus makes my eye smaller.. My mum still doesnt know whats is the sickness of my eye called. I dont wanna tell her... Im so scared can I have more info on this..?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have facial spasms. It's a little rare at your age. I had mine for 3 years, and just went through MVD surgery a few months ago. When I woke up I was twitch free. Hemifacial spasms is a neurological disorder caused by arteries putting pressure on a nerve. The only cure is to go through microvascular decompression surgery. I won't lie, it's not a simple surgery and recovery can be painful. However, fine you're young, you'll probably recover faster than if you were older. First step is to get diagnosed. I'd recommend that if you get diagnosed with hemifacial spasms that you opt for surgery and get a permanent fix. For now, try to relax as much as you can, as stress seems to exacerbate the spasms. Try to breath calmly when your spasms begin, it helps to relax.

Again, get diagnosed and opt for surgery. Only then will you continue with a normal life. Good luck and stay positive, there is a fix, just get the right surgeon to perform the procedure. You don't want a someone training on you. Research for an experience neurosurgeon in this field for best chance of success. The procedure is called MICROVASCULAR DECOMPRESSION.

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

so sorry to hear that you have this condition at such a young age.Speak to your mother,get the correct diagnosis and then follow the advice of an expert. Being young this is very scary for you but if you do opt for the surgery I feel you will probably recover more quickly than an older person.

wishing you the very best of luck.

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi Jessica

I would suggest you join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm Worldwide Support Group where you will find others who have had Hemifacial Spasm from quite a young age.  They are a very supportive group and will offer you lots of support and information.  It's important to share this with your mother so that she can help and support you with your decisions.  And, try not to be scared, this is a upsetting condition which affects your appearance to some extent, but it is not a life threatening condition.  There are things which can help (like Botox) and, as others have said, there is a cure if you should ever reach the stage where surgery seems like an option for you.  Please join that Facebook group and make links with others who truly understand how this feels for you.  Also, keep asking questions on this forum where there are lots of sensible and experienced people who can offer you the benefit of their experiences with HFS.  Take care and never feel that you are the only one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.