Hi again 8weeks post tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

just unupdate how things are going I thought by now things would be getting better but saw surgeon last week he's not pleased with my progress so he really knocked my confidence.My problems are bending and walking it's so swollen doesn't want to bend and doesn't bend very much when I walk and when I do a little bit of walking get pain on the left side please anybody any advice have had to up medicines on surgeons request don't know what I would have done without this forum

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are you doing all the physio exercises for bending, straightening, balancing, sit to stand, stand on one leg, dips, raises etc you need to do these every couple of hours or even every hour to retrain your brain, keep mobile and build you muscles. Walking on its own is no good at this point - exercise bike is better. If you are in pain you wont keep up with the physio so stay on meds of needed- even now at 8 months if I stop for a week I stiffen up and if I sit for more than 2 hours I can hardly get up. Dont let it get you down sometime they are too tough -  just focus on continued self help and things will improve still very early - at 8 weeks I was still on 2 crutches and my bend was terrible - didnt really feel making good progress until about 20 weeks and that was after a lot of hard work and rest and ice and massage. Good luck.
  • Posted

Don't forget that the scar thay you cannot see can be causing issues. The swelling is an increase in fluid is due to the injury.  It is your body's way of looking after itself.  Unfortunately you do  need to try to bend your knee as far as possible and then extend it as much as you can. It will stop the scar getting thicker and stiffer.  Once your knee is over the trauma, the swelling will so go down and things will become easier
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies I think sometimes I am too hard on myself I'm just going to keep going I'm doing all that I'm suppose to be doing and more I will get there I'm sure

• Posted

The main thing is to stay ubeat.  You know you are making progress; itmight be slower that expectations, but there are also people "up and running".  You just can't win.  You do have to push yourself a little as your knee will feel stiffer as time goes by, and you certainly don't want that to happen.  Lay in bed in the morning and slide your leg towards your backside and back down again, point your toe to the opposite wall (you will feel your calf muscles) and then point your toes towards you and, pushing your knee into your bed, try raising your foot (you will then be tightening your quad muscles). This exercise comes in handy if the alarm goes of too earlyor you want to stay in bed that bit little longer x
    • Posted

I like the idea of doing that before getting out of bed! That is always so difficult with the knee being so stiff.
  • Posted

Thanks sue can lift my leg fine I would say my bend is 90 but surgeon says 70 I'm doing exercises 4 times a day going for little walks practicing my bend when walking round the garden doing lunges on the step can't do anymore then a sleep in the afternoon then watch judge rinder ha just trying my best 
    • Posted

Thank goodness for judge rinder and judge judy ha ha - would not have survived the recovery period without them! Glad I am not the only one.

• Posted

When you sit in a chair, tuck your knee under it and push with your good knee.  Hold for a few moments and release.If you don't push too hard you will be surprised howw much progess you'll make.

• Posted

Don't worry. I had to up my painkillers as well.

When they discharge yu from hospital they do not give you strong enough painkillers.

I went to my first physio session and the physio got straight onto my GP demainding stronger painkillers for me. She is a strong mlinded woman, you do not mess with her!!!

So I went to see consultant for follow up at 6 weeks asnd just got my bend to 90 by then.

If you say you do not bend your knee much when you are walking it may be better to concentrate on doing a little less walking but bending the knee more when you are actually doing it. (Quality not quantity).

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

hi linda its hard when things dont go as we would like there is plenty of us on here that have being through what you have , i know i have its sooo depressing when your trying all you can .when you say the surgeon says you have 70 and you feel you have 90 did you not get physio ?? and if so did they not measure your bend ??? .if you have 90 you could sit on a chair comfortably without putting your foot out in front to sit down  when i was only 70 i couldnt sit down without putting the foot out in front of me and when i get up i had to hold something to pull myself up  ,plus i couldnt turn the pedels on the bike as you need at least 90 to turn the pedels
  • Posted

It is so important to keep moving it. Keeping the knee in one position for too long is the enemy. When walking try to concentrate on rolling up on your toes when your foot is behind you and landing on your heel when in front. I would often do exaggerated steps to get that motion.
  • Posted

Are you doing all the right things to get the swelling down? I imagine so . .take antiinflammatories, ice, raise, rest, exercise. . . all essential . . I do hope it improves for you soon. At eight weeks, I still had swelling, but not so much as to stop bending. . although I do remember when i started taking a couple of antiinflammatories I suddenly achieved a lot more bend than before.  the swelling really is a nuisance.  I didn't use anti inflammatories until quite a long time after the op because my physio said not to (stupidly followed her advice!)  My operated leg is the left one, and at eight months I still have a small point of pain on the right hand (inside) of the knee if I try to force a bit more bend. . perhaps it never goes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.