Hi all, is it normal to gain a lot of weight after abdominal myomectomy ?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I did abfominal myo in September and now most my clothes fit very close

Also, my belly is still not flat.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm curious, how big was your fibroid(s)?  I'm having a myomectomy in 3 weeks and weight gain/loss is something I'm curious about. I can see where mine are pressing against my abdominal muscle and pushing out my stomach... I'm curious whats going to happen to my stomach afterwards too.  What are your eating habits since your myomectomy? 

• Posted

I've gained a little over 15 pounds since my myomectomy last July, which removed one fibroid the size of a baseball that had punched through one side of the uterus and was growing out of the other side, and a second fibroid on top of the uterus, about the size of a golf ball. I also have endometriosis and my doctor removed ovarian cysts as well.

I'm 37 yrs old and I've always been quite healthy and (on average) about 125 lbs. I'm at 140 now, have hyperthyroidism as of last month, high cholesterol, etc. and my body is going crazy. My skin is as dry as it gets in winter 24/7, no matter how much water I drink. My food cravings are different now, they've elevated, and my moods are all over the place. My depression and anxiety are through the roof. My hair is thinning on the front part too.

I told my OBGYN about all my new health problems and she said they're not related in any way to the fibroid surgery, but I don't believe that. It cannot be coincidence. My endocrine system is out of whack now. I went to my Primary Care doctor and she is the one who said my thyroid was messed up, but I am not going through perimenopause (thank goodness). There's also a new body odor now that I've noticed. It's not a bad odor like BO, but I smell different if that makes any sense. Almost like a sweet perfume-like smell.

Also, my stomach is SO bloated now, even seven months post-surgery. I basically can only manage to comfortably wear maternity pants and work slacks with thick elastic bands. Jeans are awful.

The only good thing I got out of this was 6 day periods as light as day one. They're amazing. No longer do I go through an entire box of SuperPlus AND half a box of heavy overnight pads in what used to be 10 days of hell. There's no more clotting. I rarely even take pain killers when I have cramps. It's blissful. But I want my body back. Ya know?

• Posted

Wow, I've had almost an identical experience. I feel like I've gained so much weight since my myomectomy about 7 months ago. And my stomach is very bloated, still looks similar to how it did before the fibroids were removed. I had two large ones about the size of grapefruits, and many other smaller ones.

I'm paranoid that the fibroids are coming back, but perhaps it's just a lot of belly fat I've gained. I was looking forward to a flatter stomach after the surgery. But my periods are dramatically better, much like you described. And I'm 41.

• Posted

I am now 8 months post op and I experienced about 15lbs weight gain after my myomectomy. BUT I was also put on birth control right away (seasonique) to stop my periods and give my uterus a chance to heal without contracting. This was because my first period after surgery was extremely painful. I attribute the weight gain (and sky high BP 168/108) to the awful birth control I was taking. Although my skin never looked better, lol, I almost had to go on blood pressure meds. I still may. I think i was prehypertensive to begin with.

But I think our hormones go haywire after that type of surgery. Plus the lethargy, appetite changes and all that stuff that comes along with the recovery process, it all can play a role in jacking us up. I actually lost weight immediately after surgery. Went from 218 to 211 (I know, I'm already overweight to begin) . Then i skyrocket to 228. I stopped the pills in July, it is now September. I went from 228(most ever weighed) down to 207. It was the birth control /synthetic hormone /major water retention for me. And appetite changes.

Another fun bit, I had an unrelated mri this month, of my spine. In the report the radiologist noted a "probable degenerating fibroid" in the area where my last one was. I'm like..... I really hope that's just remnants of the one removed. It probably is. Best of luck to all.

• Posted

I had mine done in Sep 2016 (c section type cut) due to large fibroids which was sticking out my right side very noticeable.

After op I complained about right side pain around the cut, the Nurse keep saying it's the side the drain was on so don't worry.

2 days after my release I was back in with an infection the place I keep telling them about.

I get so much pain on my right side also look 6 months pregnant which I can't stop the swelling and both my ankles especially my right one keep swelling and painfully and large hives over my legs.

Having heavier bleeding and from back passage gained 3 stone, all which my consultant said has nothing to do with Op, even tho it all started after my Op.

I'm so fed up with the beer belly look especially being an ex professional athlete, cutdown on food intake also, no help from consultant who I only seen September last year after he did op a year previous 😢😭

I’m so depressed the pain before and after periods is so bad I don’t know what to do and still putting weight on.

• Posted

I've been worrying about the same thing. I had an open myomectomy 2 weeks ago and am already struggingly with the fact that my stomach is still so bloated! 

How long does the extra bump about the wound last? Please tell me it's just swelling and not scar tissue?? 

• Posted

Hi all, I had a myomectomy over 2 years ago - i can say your lower tummy will never go back to normal. It did take me 6 months to feel normal. I did gain some weight but i am sure its nothing that cannot be shed at a gym!
  • Posted

i have put on weight and inches since the surgery.. its disheartening. I am 10 weeks post opp.. and I had 13 fibroids removed, one of 18cm. so I had hoped to lose weight and inches...

anyone got any good weight loss or exercise techniques?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.