Hi All! Newbie here, just out of surgery one week

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been watching (and sometimes responding) to all the posts that are so very informative and helpful!  I am one week today out of surgery on TRH.  Am 67 and am probably looking at the LH soon. (although not really all that fired up on THAT idea at this pointsmile , but whatever)    So many questions I have!  First of all, nutrition, am wondering if anyone is taking supplements ( I am and have been on quite a few for a long time).  I had surgery last Tues. and was dischared on Wed., so I was in only about 24 hours, believe it or not!  I had an anterior lateral, and all and all seems to be going ok, but have had a few setbacks with medication etc.  They have me on Norco but I find I really cannot take it, as it makes me nauseated and besides that, I don't feel I need anything that heavy at this point (THANK GOD!)  So.......I called the Doc yesterday and they said I could take Tylenol or one 200 mg. ibuprofen every 6 hours (the reason only one is that they have me taking one 325 mg. aspirin morning and night to help thin the blood a little and help with blood clots, and ibuprofen also is a blood thinner.  So far, not too many problems with sleeping although Doc said he would prescribe ambien if I had problems later. Am trying to do my excersises they gave me upon discharge and make it most of the time, am walking around on my walker with no problems.  Getting INTO bed is sometimes a problem (we have a high bed) and husband has to help me, but I can get out ok.  Any pointers would be appreciated......this appears to be a VERY supportive site with lots of great people helping!  Thanks in advance!

Terri

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am 6 coming up 6weeks postt op.... keep taking pain meds because if you stop like I did you take a massive step backwards.     

Eat what you fancy... I have a milkshake in mornings made with Fresh fruit, natural yoghurt and a cereal or blended together... then a light lunch and light dinner.  My problem is I have found chocolate again!!!!!  

I am on Tramadol am and pm.  with parcetamol and Nyproxin..  Lunch and tea time 2 Ibufon and 2 parcetamol     The Tramadol make me sleep so I cut those out during the day.    I get up around 7am take medication, coffee milkshake and back to bed around 9.30-10 for around 2hrs sleep....  This is working of me.  However if I overdo things then I take Tramadol at Lunchtime and a nice siesta in the afternoon as well.

I was also given asprin to take in the morning for blood thinning...  

Good luck, happy days and sad days... but we are all hear if you want to ask anything this is the place. 

Elaine 

• Posted

Thats good because I am eating plenty!!!!   trouble being my waiste line does not like it.... but I can diet again soon enough enjoying the naughty treats. 
    • Posted

I like it too, but, right now (of course only one week out) my stomach is not up to it totally.  I am eating pretty much small meals more often which seems to worksmile  And drinking plenty of water!  They say that helps repair things too PLUS, I had a urinary track infection they found during my pre op a week prior!  UGH!  Didn't even realize I had one, but the nurse at the Doc's office said certain bacteria will not let you know what's going on, so... they put me on Cipro for the week prior to surgery, and said they'd culture it and if Doc didn't like it they would reschedule........but.....everything was A OK  so off I went.  Daughter did bring over some homemade oatmeal cookies though (my favs) and I'm eating more of those than I shouldsmile   I do the same with yogart (greek) and granola either in the morning or at lunch  I guess I should ask about tramadol, a friend of mine says it has worked for her nicely for similar surgeries in the past.  So far, I'm on just my aspirin and ibuprofen or tylenol and it's just 'ok' but yes, I could probably use more for painsmile

ptolemy- I know what you mean about 'the waistline', I need to loose between 15 and 20, but not going to worry about that right now.  I think the more active we become, it won't be so hard to control it!  My 'real' problem started when the hip became a real crippler and I did lots of sitting and not as active.  Ha!  I thought I was in trouble after menopause when I started to 'loose my waistline' a tad, but the inactivity is a weight killer!!

• Posted

Getting into bed ...... yes, I remember that one, we have a very tall bed too.  

I used my walking stick (cane) reversed to hook under my foot to help me get it up.  Also I used to flop onto the bed rather like a high-jumper (but please don't just jump into the bed!), I found that my legs came up behind me very effectively and just a quick swivel and there I was.

• Posted

I managed to work out a variation on rocketman's getting into bed, and even adjusting myself in bed, good toes under heel of bad leg, keep bad leg straight and relaxed, and use your good leg to do all the work, lifting to get into bed, imagine a mermaid as you do it, works quite well.

In the meantime make use of that husband of yours, moisteriser on you heels, helping you get into and out of bed.

Early days yet, light meals, omelet will give you the protein to help your muscles heal up and milk products will give you calcium to rebuild bones.

• Posted

Nice one Lyn, a good safe alternative to my method.

And yes, let your partner take the strain.

• Posted

I'm taking tramodol as well. I find it works but doesn't make me drowsy. Not taking any extras in vitimins just eating what I fancy in small amounts. Plenty of fruit and water.

As you know it's day 4 post op for me. I have found that I haven't napped as much today. I have a V pillow with my ordinary one on top so I am slightly recumberent in bed. I sleep on the top with a light snuggle throw. I find I'm not fighting with the duvet. Getting used to the sleeping on my back but living for the day when I can sleep on my side.

Love and hugs it's a journey and we will all reach our destination.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi terri

I am now 8 weeks post tlhr I stopped all pain relief on day 5 post as they were upsetting my stomach and I could cope with what pain I had without from week 3 I went on exercise bike doing 10 mins morning and evening which really helped to strengthen the muscle I'm now walking unaided pain free and no limp I'm a carpenter and going back to work in 4 weeks (can't wait) I also been taking a protein drink daily to help with building strength back up keep up good work you be back on feet in no time ps I am 40 years old

• Posted

Best wishes in your recovery, Terri! You sound much more coherent than I did at one week out, which is a good thing!

For tips on many practical aspects of pre and post-op THR issues, you might want to check out "A laymans guide to Total Hip Replacement from one of our users - Rocketman54", which is the last of the resources listed in the pinned discussion at the top of the thread page called THR-Useful Resources: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147. Graham (Rocketman) created this page so that many good ideas regarding recovery issues, based on his experience and those of other users on this site, would be in one place.

• Posted

hi terri,

checking in with you - 

so many lovely responses and tips from fellow hippies - you just had major invasive surgery and your body is healing - 

It seems that you are doing really good - discharged after 24 hours , doing your exercises and getting around -

be gentle with yourself - your appetite will come back -

Lucky you for not having to self-inject blood thinning medication ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee and ALL OF YOU for your wonderful tips and encouragement!  I'm really doing ok (I think) and now know that the lack of appetite (at times) and quesiness (at times) is perfectly normal.  And yes, I have been eating smaller meals but more often if I'm hungry, and HEALTHY foods which I think is important for healing.  I'm not allowed to fool with the bandage over the incision, have to wait until I see Doc on the 5th of Oct. and he will deal with it.  But........it's starting to 'itch' which has always been a good indication (to me anyway) that at least the incision is beginning to heal.  Still walking with my walker, but have tried out the cane from time to time and maybe it's phsychological but I don't feel as 'secure' with the cane yet.  Will keep trying.

Oh, and yes Renee, they DID give me an injection for blood thinning the day I left the hospital, gave it to me in the stomach, which I have never heard of but the nurse told me it 'absorbs' better that way, so??  And then was instructed to take one aspirin in the morning and one in evening. 

I may ask for the 'tramodol' for times when I'm achy, it seems to do well with others and is non narcotic which I like.

Can't thank you all enough for your loving responses.  We seem to be all in this together, and it's SO VERY HELPFUL to be able to share experiences and help each other in this journey!

HUGS TO ALL OF YOU!!

Terri

• Posted

Hi Terri,  you are doing well, the itchy scar is normal as it is healing... did you have disolveable stitches I did and they did itch.   I was allowed to change my dressing after having showered.   

Walking it is still early days to walk with only a stick but when you feel ready you will know.   I am still using my crutches when outside as do not feel mentally ready not to.   More of a case other people not being aware if they knock me 

Keep up the good work.

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks in 2 days. I quit taking Tramadol and norco in three weeks. Just taking Tylenol Arthritis now as it has 650 mg. if you must take norco or Tramadol, take Miralax for constipation. Such a relief. I ate as many veggies and fruits as I could. Didn't have much of an appetite. Also ice and rest when you can. Just quit using cane this past week. Still being cautious. 

• Posted

Elaine and Molly,

Yes, Elaine, I have the 'steri strips' on the outside and of course the dissolvable ones on the inside.  BUT.....I'm not allowed to change the bandage until he sees it a week from now.  NOT ALLOWED TO SHOWER EITHER UNTIL THEN!  YUK!  Just a sponge bath. sad  I have learned how to wash my hair in the kitchen sink though!  This Doc is really super conservative and cautious in preventing infection, and they all have their own protocol I guess. 

Molly,

I seem to be doing ok on the one ibuprofen between my aspirin (one morning and night) and it seems to keep me comfortable enough.  Seems as though when i quit the Norco I started feeling better physically, although I agree, I don't have an appetite really yet.  Just my small meals and snacking on fruit and nuts.  Eating spinach salads and dark leafy greens for dinner, and drinking enough water.  Also greek yogurt I try to get in at some point.    Thanks for the encouragement! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.