Hi - Any police officers out there who have had an ankle replacement ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I'm 53, I had my STAR replacement Nov 2015. I was away from work about 3/4 months and back (on 10hr shifts) since. I'm desk bound but thats ok.

I've just been told that I won't be able to even try the fitness test which will get me back to full duties, but I would like to try.

I walk 18 holes of golf ok, ride my bike and can jog, (not sure if I'm allowed to but I can) I feel fine.

I still have swelling, not much feeling in the foot and a little pain but thats no problem.

I wanted to find out what other people can do after a year ? I get asked a LOT "when i can do this" "when can i do that" and to be honest it's been really hard to find much information.

I think the medical staff here want to know if i will ever run again.

can anyone out there run ?

Steve   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I hope someone answers Steve. Thank you for your service. We really appreciate it!
  • Posted

I am not an officer but, I am in my mid 50's and have been quite active and even so now wearing the boot on and off the last two years. Ankle reconstruction and tendon repair/transfer is scheduled in 10 days. I keep asking myself if I want to continue like I am now in the the boot with restrictions/sometimes NWB or go for the surgery and suffer like so many on the list do for 6 months to a year or longer. You sound like you are doing great and hope to do as good as you are. Good luck and keep us posted on how you continue.

• Posted

These decisions are so difficult, because we don't know if we are going to feel much better after surgery (after we give our body recuperation time) or if we will feel sorry we did the surgery. I am in my mid-50's too and know we still have years ahead of us, and yet we don't have to be 100% to make us happy. It all comes down to our faith in our surgeons and doctors I think, as welll as doing as much research as we can to figure out realistic outcomes. All of us on here found this website because we were doing research, and that can help a ton in trying to figure out our potential options. Hoping all the best for your recovery!

• Posted

I decided on a fusion...the one to ask is the surgeon. It is important to know the limits placed on an artificial joint by the manufacterers. It is not about what you can will yourself to do, it is about how much force the artificial implant can withstand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.