Hi can anyone help me understand what is wrong with my ears?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im a 31 year old female and for years since I was a teenager I have suffered a wide range of ear issues and symptoms.

Most of the time these are bearable and I can cope but when I get a cold like I did a few days ago and have any kind of nasal or throat congestion, my ears get 100x worse.

I will try to describe the ear sensations as best I can. All the time when driving down hills I get a build up of pressure in the ear which leads to dulled hearing and some days I am constantly having to clear them and pop them which gives me instant relief. Now here is the weird thing im concerned about.

The only successful way I can take away the pressure and pop and clear my ears is to either swallow hard or more commonly, I use my jaws. I sort of wiggle them about one side at a time and it usually always cracks and pops my ear, and im relieved. Is this normal? Ive had to do this for years, and no one I know does it- in fact they havent a clue what im talking about. What am I doing and what is happening when I do this?

Now as I said this method usually works perfectly but when ive a cold such as now it doesnt work and i cant clear my ears- and sometimes i actually make the build up of pressure or blockage worse. And this week I am panicking as for past couple of days I cannot clear and pop my left ear using my jaw as normal but the right ear is fine. I am scared there is something seriously and permanenty wrong with my left side because this is the only way I can clear them- why isnt it working? Is this due to my cold? So left ear and my ears in general with the cold feel pressure, blockage clogging, and like they need to pop- and once they do I get relief.

I also suffer from ringing and buzzing in the ears but this does not annoy me as much as the awful senstions and feelings when my ears are affected with the cold- my hearing is weird and I either cannot hear very well and things are muffled like u have cotton wool or else weirdly its like my hearing becomes suddenly too sensitive and noises are unbearable and i have to try to pop them again- what is causing this or happening?

When I do clear my ears I feel my nostril opening up sometimes too and again sometimes when ive cold, i can hear myself breathing out of that nostril.

These ear issues are so unnatural and weird and Ive never met anyone who has the same. I am on decongestants and anti-inflammtorys, anti-histmines, and antibiotics.

I am worried sick that my jaw clearing on left side wont come back especially and all of this lead to major depression and suicidal feelings in the past and this week I feel exactly the same- it makes me frustrated, angry and feeling like I dont want to live anymore like this. I cry every day.

I have been to doctors who prescribe medication but dont seem to know whats wrong as neither do any ENTs ive been too.

Does ANYONE here understand what im talking about or experienced the same and can offer any advice? Please I am desperate.

I am single and cannot work or have social life and never had a relationship due to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashleigh, You have my sympathy for your problems.

Have read of this link and let me know what you think?

https://patient.info/health/meniere%27s-disease-leaflet

Read it all and don't dismiss it after the first paragraph. lol

It was just a thought, As Doctors don't seem to have the time these days to really understand patients, So I do my own research.

I have Tinnitus and other problems.

Keep in touch

• Posted

Hi! 

I thought I was the only one on the whole planet with this! 

But I am a 15 year old female from Denmark. So sorry about my english..

But I have suffered from this since i was 12!

I have just all the symptoms you described and can't believe my eyes!

It is such a big relief AND a scary thing for me to read...

This 'THING' with my ears did course OCD and that I started to hurt myself. I have alot of anxiety and alot of it get worse because of my ears! I hate it so much and could cry cry and cry when I was sick, because I couldn't "pop". I got this panic and felt at that exact moment, that I should live with that the rest of my life and that I would NEVER get a normal life or even fly/travel to other countries. Take the train or even just drive in a car.  

I also think I can't complete 9th grade. And that I won't even get an education! 

You know all I've been trough with my ears and is getting through right now!

And I feel like my parents can't understand me! I get panic and anxiety at nights cause the high pitch tone comes. Or a strange summing is there...

All eardoctors can't find anything and I even myself started to think I was making it up in my mind. People can't understand me, and I feel so alone! 

I really really really REALLY! Thought i was the only one! 

I will also mention that I am a REALLY shy person who wouldn't normally type this anywhere else! But wooooowwww I still can't belive it! 

Sorry for that long lifestory sad 

I hope that it's not to late to reply! Cause I am really desparate too! I know I cannot cure you, but I can understand it ALL! 

• Posted

Im sorry you have to live this way for now ashley but it will get better im sure it will you should try praying to god I am suffering from something similar and sometimes i go to church and ask him to help me and give me hope and healing and my lord will answer and you will find hope and I hope you can find the lord in you heart unless if you already have him and please remember that you arent alone and i know that dosent even help me saying but please remeber when your in church be real with god and yourself dont be afraid to scream or cry or to put your hands up because my lord knows your heart and knows what you want to do he knows you temtation and please read Phsalms chapter 91 I hope you will find hope just as i did and depression is hard i understand because i know how it feels i understand the pain and suffering and sometimes you dont even want to live at some points but my lord will take away that pain and suffering please remember that you have my prayer and love even as im typing this im still having problems with my ear please mail me if you want a more private conversation thank you and god bless you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.