Hi everyone. Struggling to get some answers for what I suspect, is PV

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone...

New here, but I have read a lot of posts on this forum over the last year. Last year, (in the Fall), I began to experience some odd itching (generalized) on my body, hands and arms when I would go for a run. I would also itch on my legs (shin area mostly) and my hands and arms, for no apparent reason, they'd just itch as soon I would wake up on and off throughout the day. I also, although not very much, would itch after contact with water, albeit, very little at all, and If I did, it would be more after exposure to cooler water, such as at the lake. About a week later (end of September), I was in our local emerge as the itch was driving me mad, some blood work was done, and the emerge Dr said my HB was slightly elevated (17.8) but he wasn't concernded, he just said to redue my blood work in a month. In the mean time, I was referred to a dermatologist for the itch, and was able to get in relatively quickly considering I live in Canada. The dermatologist attributed my itch to dermagraphism, which he tested me for by taking a stick and drawing on my back. But I question this, as I do not get the welts you typically see from dermagraphism, just what appear to be red histimine lines from where I scratch. Sometimes when I itch, i can just run my finger across the itchy part and a red line appears. I had some more blood work done, but through an outside agency, and now my HB was even higher, 18.3 and my Hct was 51.0. My GP refrred me a Internest Dr, who did a ton of blood work and ordered the Jak 2 V617f test, which from what I gather is the predominant mutation in PV, as it presents in about 96% of all cases. The test was done using PSR analysis, which is the far more sensitive. The week it took was agonizing to say the least, but the test came back negative, which I was extremely happy about. I should mention that 17 days prior to this test, i had donated blood on the advice of my mom, but when I inquried if this would have skewed the test, my answer was no, not at all. If I had the mutation, it would have shown up. Although I was happy, the itch was still occuring and when I saw my Internest for a follow up, she said that she no longer suspected I had PV. I asked her about the other Jak 2 (exon 12) test, and she said, her words, "when are you gonna stop looking?" I explained that, although the jak 2 v617f test accounts for the vast majority, there is still a few that test for the other mutation. She pretty much said no, she wasn't going to order it, and that I should do some more blood work in three months, which I did the end of march this year, and my counts were 17.4 for Hb and 49.4 for Hct, which I was happy about... But as of today, I still itch and as far as I am concerned, I am no further ahead in solving this issue. I worry I have PV as I can not find anything else that would correlate to the itch and having a slightly elevated HB and Hct.. That being said, my blood records going back to 2007 have always indicated a slightly higher side of normal in terms of HB and Hct, but never outside the upper limits, that is, until recently.. All my other counts have been normal. The only symptoms I have has been the itch, and on occasion, sinus type headaches... Interestingly, I have an Identical twin brother, who when asking him what his values were, said that his last CBC (done about year and a half ago) showed a HB of 17.3 and an Hct of 50.0...

I feel like like I am going insane, so much so that my GP and other family members are worried about my mental state... Recently, the itch has gotten worse and today, swimming in the lake, I itched a lot after getting out of the water, which, prompted me to finally post...! 

I will also note, neither my Internest Dr, nor my GP, think a hematolgist will see me if they refer me, they think my levels are not elevated enough... Go figure..! At my ropes end people... I am not convinced I don't have PV  .... and its next to impossible to get answers.. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried antihistimine tablets? Solve itiching problem for me.
  • Posted

Hi Clem...

I have prescription reactine for ragweed and other seasonal allergies, but it does absolutely nothing.... So frustrating.. 

• Posted

Ceterizine is what i use, think u may get them over the counter
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking Clem, what do you take for your dose? 

• Posted

2 on occasion 3 5mg tablets. I kike u suffered a lot of itching on my shins when i was a child. Their pretty scarred now. Tablets usually work within a couple of hours.
    • Posted

Thanks Clem... How long have you had PV? I've read a lot of stuff, and have watched a few testamonies online, and from what I have seen or heard, some people can live with the disease for 30+ years. 

• Posted

I was born with it. I didnt know wat the cause of my ill health until i was 30. 58 now .
    • Posted

Im convinced my daughter has this discease , she has been tested once but nothing showed up. She is due to be tested again. She has the same symptoms as me so hopefully she will get answers as well.
    • Posted

Are you Jak2 v617f positive? Do you know? I relaize that most individuals with PV, 96% I believe (possibly closer to 97%) have this particular mutation... 
    • Posted

So strange Clem, that your daughter might have it too... I've read its uncommon that the disease is inherited, but rather, it is usually acquired. I would argue that they (scientists and other in the medical community) don't really know for sure. Are, or were, any of your other counts high, white cells? Platelets?    

• Posted

Very little is know about the discease so cant see how science can make assumptions. I used to know of 2 sister who had it and they recently died of luekemia, they was in their late 70's

• Posted

Hi Clem... How long did the two sisters have PV for? I have heard so much, or I should say, I have read so much negative information regardng prognosis, but then you here stories, such as yourself, and countless others, who have had the disease for so long, it becomes reassuring that people can live a long time with it... 
    • Posted

It was about 3 yrs ago, i met them when i was attending hospital. After the first sister died the other sister told me they both had the discease and that she also developed leukemia. She died a few mths after telling me. That said, folk are more likely too die of old age than develop anything serious.
    • Posted

Thanks Clem.. Did the sisters you mentioned, have PV their whole life? . I will keep you, and others on here, posted... On a side note, I bought some of the anti-histamines your mentioned, but they are 10mg doses, I'll just cut'em in half lol... I'll let ya know if I see any difference in the itching...

• Posted

Their harmless take the whole tablet , take 3 and hopefully they will work quickly for u. No idea about sisters history, i only met them a few times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.