Hi,feeling very low..again..umm

Posted , 7 users are following.

last year I was feeling low and couldn't cope with life having thoughts of ending it all.i went to the doctors and they put me in touch with a councillor ,they wanted me to take medication for it and I didn't want to take it for all the side affects that might be.i talked it over with a family member and got bye until now.

the thoughts of life is not worth all the crap it throws at me now make me want to self harm,twice now I have put a knife blade to my wrist but not going deep enough only a bad scratch,after I have done that I think next time.i need help but don't want to go to my gp.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi steven

I had suicidal thoughts a few months ago.   Now I think how wrong I was.  I was depressed .  That is an illness which makes you think wrongly.  I have taken medication and that has nearly put me right.  

You should not avoid medication for fear of possible side effects!  You may have none.   You may have only minor ones.   On the other hand medication may make you MUCH better!   Isn't  it worth it?  "Getting by" is hardly something to aim for.    

Councilling has not worked for you.   Give medicine a go!     

• Posted

Hi Steven:

Sounds like you're having great difficulty. Hopefully you will consider medication.

Medication can have side effects. I can only speak for myself. Medication has saved my life.

Ultimately you have a choice. Hopefully you will continue to choose to get help.

Best,

Chip

• Posted

Steven, meds my man are not that bad I had a bad addiction to drugs pills mainly and when I suffered depression and anxiety it was the last thing I wanted ...to take more meds ! However I did because I needed to balance my mind out again no cognitive therpay techiques were gonna cut it only help which wasnt enough! 15 weeks in and no issues with the side effects the first month or so they were bearly noticable anddefinately worth the sacrifice because now I feel normal well as normal as I was before wink seriously meds are not that bad you can take citalopram for life if you need although in your case maybe you wont need too ? if your heart required medication would you take it ....yes you would so the same for the brain! dont be fooled or influenced by uneducated family and friends and trolls on the internet that dont understand how depression anxiety works .. hang in there brother its worth it trust me!
  • Posted

hi Steven, I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering......it is a horrible, horrible, lonely illness....

I agree with all of the other posters.....I have been on SERTRALINE 200 mgs...for many, many years, and as with the others. it saved my life....I had absolutely no side effects whatsoever...please have a good talk with your GP....they can advise you, but please, you really don't have to suffer like this....I so hope that you give it a try....my heart goes out to you young man xxx

I hope life improves for you very soon...regards and warm hugs to you, take care always...Deirdre xxx

• Posted

Hi Steven, I also was depressed and had thoughts of self harm like you i didnt want to take anti depressants but i did they calmed my anxiety and mood fluctuations, but couldnt understand why i wasnt getting better on them and had no energy, reason being i had b12 deficiency and now have b12 injections, depression is one of the symptoms.

Ask the GP to check yours you never know it might be this, if not, i follow spirituality not religion it is so helpful in making you a stronger person and to see how important you are.and how to cope with the stresses of life.

• Posted

As the others have said, medication perhaps saved my life.  I hate having to take them, I wish I could be "normal" without them, but I can't. 

I had no side effects that I can think of, but any side effects would have been better than the hell I was going through. 

And look at it this way.....nobody is making you take them.  If the doctor offers them to you and you don't like them, it is your choice.

I wish you all the luck in the world, please go to your GP, they are more understanding and compassionate than you think.

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.