Hi has anyone recently had folfox6 chemotherapy? I'm due to start next week.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Am after some ideas of what side effects patients have recently encountered with this. I was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer and had right hemicolectomy 5 weeks ago. Thanks 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, I cannot answer your question specifically as I had bowel cancer stage 3 about 15 years ago. However at the time I had 36 weeks of chemotherapy once a week  alongside a trial drug which  I think was folfax5. The symptoms were nausea but not extreme, itchy skin, thinning of hair but not loss  and tiredness. This might not relate to your situation but it might help to know I survived it. The very best of luck with it  you have been through the worse. Very best wishes  

• Posted

Thanks Jill, so glad to hear you're a survivor. Great to hear good news stories x
  • Posted

Hello Jules, I had Folfox. My first treatment when diagnosed and apart from the tiredness everyone gwets with ant chemo and not really much of that, I felt normal. I will say I was in good health to start so able to fight off any badies.

Second time around though after radio and op, my resistance was not so good and I just felt so out of salts and wondered if I would ever recover. Even today some 2 mos after last chemo I dopn't have any energy. Have bad head/chest infection which I think is due to low resistance but eating healthy. Build yourself up ready for it.

Best of luck, Good wishes, Daffs

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Daffs hope you continue to improve & make good progress. I'm in good health & only young so hopefully will be ok with it. I want to try to get back to "normality" & go back to work.

Good wishes to you xx

• Posted

Hi Jules, Glad it helped some, you do have a good start with good health and don't be afraid to ask any qs. from people who may be able to help, haviong been there already themselves. Try the macmillan website forum.

Happy Easter, Daffs

• Posted

Hiya julie, my dad has stage 4 cancer and on his second cycle of chemo. Everyone is different, all i can tell you is how he feels. The first cycle alll he really had was tingling fingers and lips from ANYTHING cold. The second cycle he just feels really weak. Hes not been sick, no hair loss, still has tingling fingers and lips when cold. Its all new to us aswell tho. Hes 69 so will feel alot weaker than yourself. Just keep eating and drinking hunnie and you will be just fine!
    • Posted

hello collette

my dad has stage 4 rectum cancer aswell .

At the moment he is not well for chemotherapy .can you please tell me the first lost of chemotherapy your dad had what the name of it was and how long he had it for. was it to control the cancer and extend his life?

where did your dad get the cancer when it came back again.

I am very sorry about your dad I know what you are going through. my dad is only 60 we are going through a very hard time aswell.

good luck to you and your dad.

• Posted

Hiya sarah, my dad was only diagnosed in feb 2015. He has it in colon, tummy, liver, kidney. His chemo is called capox (im in england) so poss different name if you live outside UK. They have said its inoperable so therefore its not a cure, but to extend his life. Every cycle though you do feel better that there is hope. Im sure your dad will be fine. We are now on cycle 3 of 8 cycles and hes doing really good. Hows your dad doing??? Where does he have it? Sending your dad loads of luck sarah x
  • Posted

Thanks Collette, good to hear different stories, best wishes to your dad and yourself stay strong x
  • Posted

I am currently going through folfox6 chemo. There is only one more cycle to follow the one that I am going through at the moment. I also chose to take part in the Foxtrot medical trial in which three of the cycles took place before the operation and nine after.

The main side effect I suffer, as others have said, is severe sensitivity to cold - particularly the fingers, feet and throat. Finger sensitivity has been the most difficult to deal with in the recent cold weather. One one occasion I arrived home from a chemo session and found that I simply could not unfasten the top button of my shirt and had to cut it off with a knife!

One finds strategies for dealing with the effects, for instance wearing oven gloves when taking things out of the fridge or freezer a

nd avoiding cold drinks (red wine at room temperature rather tha

n chilled white wine!)

If I can offer a bit of advice it is to remain positive, particularly when discussing the matter with family and friends. I chose to send out emails to those arround me to keep them updated, keeping them as lighthearted as possible. This, I found, allowed them to talk to me about my problems without feeling any embarrassment - if I could joke about it then so could they.

I haven't suffered much in the way of other side effects, my hair has become thinner, but this has been taking place for several years, not too surprising for someone of 78!

• Posted

Thanks Anthony good to hear you've only one to go. Good to hear different stories. Iv had my first chemo & did have a few side effects with the cold in hands & throat. Also felt quite sick for a few days. Now the shock of that is over will see how the second cycle goes. Take care
    • Posted

I wish you well with the chemo, it tends to be a bit of a slog but when you get used to the routine it's not so bad.  Where I am, attending the ward for chemo is more like a family reunion than a penance because the staff members are unfailingly bright and cheerful as well as being very competent.  It is surprising what a difference it makes when, instead of having to explain to a receptionist who you are and why you are there, you are greeted on arrival with 'Hi, Anthony, take a seat and we will be with you in a minute.'

I assume that, like me, you have a PICC line for the chemo so that the 44 hour dose can be administered as an out patient.  If so, perhaps I could give a bit of advice.  Keep an eye on your limbs.  If you see any sign of swelling, report the matter to the hospital ASAP.  When I had my first PICC line removed prior to surgery I noticed that the arm in which the line had been installed had started to swell.  When I mentioned this to the surgeon during a pre-op interview, he immediately referred me for an ultra-sound scan which found that I had developed a deep vein thrombosis.  As a result, I have spent the last 6 months injecting myself daily with a bloood thinning drug - I'm glad to say that this regime finishes this week.  It's not a serious problem if spotted early but it is all to easy to neglect it in all the other activities associated with the treatment.

• Posted

Hello Julie I hope you are feeling ok as I am presuming you have had your first cycle now. I too had a right hemicolorectomy in August and now on my 2nd folfax5 cycle.. my first one I sailed through but this one has not been as pleasant..the tingling fingers started on day 1 as opposed day 2 constipation has been a problem on day 4 then day 5 and 6 diahrea today is day 11 and my tummy still feels off a bit like when healing after the op! Tiredness and being irratable with people no matter how positive I am its just a feeling

I started a diary to monitor sumptoms from week to week which helps. Also I have been working but shorter hours which helps you feel normal lol. Good luck and let us know how you are getting on😊 xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.