Hi i have a fractured femur(knee)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was in a car accident on 4/15/16. I had a fractured femur my left knee went into surgery i got released 2 days ago now im finding it extremely hard to getcomfortable to sleep and when i do sleep at the most lately has been up to 2 1/2 hours then toss and turn for a hour or so and again same thing anybody try something to get them to sleep im only 22 years old i dontknow to much about this i have talked to my therapist he said gently apply pressure havelots of pillows if first trying but did not actually recommend anything just have at it sort of and as u can see its 2:38am i just woke up and decided to see if anybody could recommend anything please and thank you

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I had a partial knee replacement on the 8th April so still only early days. I still have trouble sleeping, finding that position to get comfortable, it has got better as the days go on, and will continue to improve. Unfortunately as I have discovered knee pain is the worst. I finding using ice packs and doing my exercises before bed help, I get about 5 hours sleep now as apposed to 2 hours just after the op. I also find sleeping in the chair comfortable for a few hours.

All the best with your recovery.

• Posted

Yeah i just remembered the nurses would always switch ice packs thank you. I still dont do actual stretching kind of afraid to rip out the stitches but i am on my few times a day as excersice i try not to get winded cause then im screwed if i were to have a real emergency but thank you so much im honestly about to go find a ziploc bag and fill it with some ice 😇
    • Posted

Thats ok ice works wonders. Dont worry about doing the exercise do little bits at first then use the ice it will benefit you in the long run. I am not only using one stick and walking outside. It does swell up and get tight but I know it will help. You are young and shoukd heal quickly. I am having my staples out this Friday and nore worried about that thab I wss thr operation.
    • Posted

It worked pretty good honestly but i dont have necessary tools i need something that wont make more water on the outside and get into the bandages what do you normally use? Gel pack? Or just regular ice packs?
    • Posted

The gel packs work wonderfully.  I purchased 2 sets....that way I could always have 1 set in freezer.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear about your accident.  What type of pain meds are you on?  If they are strong narcotics...as we all have taken, unfortunately, they interfere with your sleep patterns.  So sleep when you can.  Getting comfortable in the bed can be very difficult.  I actually slept flat on my back....had to make myself practice for a few weeks prior to,surgery....with a pillow on either side of leg.  

When you wake during the night is it right before pain med time????  

• Posted

I was encouraged to sleep on my back and I soon learned why.  It is the only way!  I have always been a side sleeper but find no comfort there now. flat on my bag with a rolled up towel on either side of TKR. Ice is still my best friend...now use a frozen bag of peas, but came home from the hospital with a fancy ice machine that they used there.  I used it all night long for the first two weeks post op. Always ice after exercise or extensive walking because all of that causes swelling and swelling causes pain. My incision was closed with glue.....still have some scabbing and cannot get it totally wet.  Very sorry to hear about your accident, but you are young and will heal quickly.  You must follow PTs orders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.