Hi! I'm epileptic and I would like to have a baby.

Posted , 4 users are following.

For 3 years I took Depakine 500 and now my doctor gave me Lamotrigine. Is this pill ok? Or it can harm my baby? For more then 3 years I feel fain and EEG is clean. What is your advice? I was thinking to check with other doctors. Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elena,

I've just been put on Lamotrogine because of that reason. It is supposed to be safer if you want to become pregnant. I'm not planning this at the moment, but because of my age they think it best to make the change now.

You should check in with you neurology team though, and have closer monitoring than people would normally have through pregnancy.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Elana,

I was on phenobarb and valium when I had my Daughter many moons ago but afterwards they took me off valium and gave me Epanutin which I was told could cause malformed babies.  This was in the 70's,  ask Doc and hospital xx Good Luck  Win xx

• Posted

Hi elena, I have been on Lamotrigine since 1998. Because my white blood cell count were very low I've not had any problems with it only thing is I get a rash on my thighs and shoulders which is supposed to be common. If these don't work for you try epilim especially if you are thinking of getting pregnant. Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.