Hi...I my Mum has PMR and can't take Steroids..She is very depressed...Any advice would be great:}

Posted , 7 users are following.

She has always been life and sole of the party. This not my Mum very down and crying ....

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why can't she take steroids Jane?
    • Posted

Hi.....Very ..The steroids make her really breathless.....Don't know what is worst.....Think she just wants to jump off a building at moment. I just want to takeaway her pain,
    • Posted

Unfortunately nothing else works like pred. Normal painkillers won't touch it.

There are a couple of real experts on here who will be along later who may be able to give more advice.

• Posted

I really feel for your mum, I was exactly the same when I was diagnosed, and continued to feel very depressed for about 6 months - until she gets what the others here will call "acceptance".

It is an extremely painful, dibilitating condition without the steroids, even with them life can be difficult, so I don't know what she's going to do if she can't take them.

If you read here long enough, it seems most of us that get this are real 'doers' - busy people who are always on the go and that's why it hits so hard.

Get your mum on here to talk to us, we can offer support that she can't get anywhere else.

• Posted

Thank you so much....So hard to see my Mum going from strong person to this....I will speak to her and come back to you as she is not computer litterate.

• Posted

This may well be the time she learns to use one then! You never know what good things can come out of adverstiy!
    • Posted

If she isn't computer literate sit with her while she posts (or do you live too far apart?). She asks the questions, someone else types them for her.

Without steroids she is in for a lot of pain.  Our 'experts' will no doubt be able to give you more advice soon.

Our thoughts are with your Mum and you.

• Posted

Just read another post titled "Low mood" posted a couple of days ago - take a read.
  • Posted

If you have some questions do please ask them. In the meantime, if you follow this link 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

you will find lots of resources and information, much of it aimed at the lay person. You can download and print them if your mother doesn't use a computer.

However - as someone else has already said, maybe this is a time for your mother to learn as it will allow her to keep in touch with people in a similar boat and exchange experiences.That said, almost all of us take pred because it is currently the only answer to PMR and does give us a far better quality of life - above all less pain.

I had PMR for 5 years without any medication - not out of choice but because it wasn't diagnosed. I did aqua aerobics as early in the day as I could and found that meant I could function better for the rest of the day. Using an electric blanket BEFORE getting out of bed has been found useful by some people, then getting into a warm shower where they can stretch and do simple exercises to get their shoulders and hips moving, the more you can mobilise the muscles and get the blood flow going the better you feel and it builds up over the day. I used to stagger out of bed, put my swimming costume on and jogging bottoms and sweatshirt to get to the pool where I showered before the class. I needed a warm pool though. After that I was able to do a Pilates class a couple of times a week - and that also helped keep me able to move.

I know I'm sounding a bit hard but really either you learn to live with pred side effects - and they do usually improve with time and reducing dose - or you have to learn to live with the pain, stiffness and disability. I used to be very breathless with PMR itself too - I could barely climb a flight of stairs at home never mind any more and that was on hands and knees. Being on the pred at least improves the pain and stiffness - but it doesn't mean she will be able to go back to the same level of activity as before for some considerable time. The muscles remain intolerant of exercise and, while it is possible to get back to the usual exercise level, it does take a very long time to get there, you have to train your muscles again. Pacing and rest are essential so maybe she might find the breathlessness easier to cope with if she isn't trying to do as much - it is a recognised side effect of pred.

Some people do find that an antiinflammatory diet helps some - oily fish 2 or 3 times a week, using turmeric and garlic in cooking and so on - MrsO is our guru there, my knowledge stops there.

What dose of pred did they try? Did they just try pred tablets in a single dose? Where do you live? Has your mother seen a rheumatologist or has she just been under the GP? If you tell us a bit more we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

• Posted

Eileen - off topic, but.....!   Have you any experience with co-codamol?  I am in quite a lot of pain at the moment (again!😡) - wrists, hips, ankles.  I have reduced to 6 1/2 Pred and was doing quite well, but the pain is gradually increasing.  I take co-codamol for OA and the other 'odd' arthritis  and I know they say they are addictive.  I only take 2, maximum 3, per day but wondered if that was also considered as a danger of becoming dependent on them? Any advice?

Thanks.  Constance

• Posted

Google "The-safe-painkiller-turning-unsuspecting-women-drug-addicts" and the article in the Daily Mail about the risks is (even by my standards) good. I think you can become addicted eventaully however small the dose is - but an even greater risk in my opinion is the paracetamol over time although you are taking a pretty low dose. No alcohol though!!!!

What dose are you taking? The sort you can buy OTC in the UK or is it the higher dose from the GP? I have no idea what the regulations are in Germany - I just know I can't even get paracetamol alone from anywhere other than a pharmcy here. I'd never take cocodamol as I find even a single dose of codeine intolerable. And watch out for constipation with the codeine.

• Posted

Thanks.  Very interesting article.  I get the stronger ones from the doctor (100 in a packet - but they last for months).

I was interested to read that people felt a sort of high on these tablets.  I never have.  They just help the pain.

No problem with any side effects, constipation included.

I'll soldier on with 2 per day (I never take them if I have no pain).

So difficult to know sometimes whether the pain is PMR, OA or what.  I certainly don't want to yo-yo with the Pred.

• Posted

Yes, both my girls like them! Me?  No high for me either! Nothing opiod will pass my lips since I had the metalwork removed from my leg 20-odd years ago. One dose and I thought i was dying, it was awful! I used arnica as cream and as globules - it worked, don't know HOW it worked but it worked which was all that mattered!

If 7mg pred helps with the other pain - why not stick there for a bit? This is a physiological dose and not doing much harm at all.

• Posted

Aren't we strange?  I bought arnica cream on the advice of a friend and it didn't help a bit!

I'll stick to my 6 1/2 mg for a while.  See how it goes.

• Posted

Just re-read last sentence of first paragraph.  How can you be so cruel Eileen - no alcohol?  No GBL?
    • Posted

Not me to blame - the paracetamol that is the co,,,amol in co-codamol. 
    • Posted

Oh dear.... I've been taking these at night because they help me sleep by reducing my aches and pains..... sigh... another thing for me to become addicted to..... I love having an "adictive personality" lolol

Throughout the years I've had all sorts:

Cigarettes

Alcohol

Nasal spray

Food(!)

Chocolate

now Panadine (co-codamol)????

SHOOT ME!

LOL

• Posted

Do you mean by shooting her?  But, of course, that would hurt!!😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.