Hi, i've been smoking for over 40 years, yes i know disgusting, i desperately want to give up smoking.

Posted , 8 users are following.

can anyone tell me which way they found the best, i don't really want to go on patches etc and i've heard bad reports on champix. I,ve tried accupuncture and found i cut down, but we all know what happens, creep back to full smoking again. would appreciate any help you can give me

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You can get a decent disposable e-cigarette from Tesco for £5.99, they're remarkably realistic taste and (lung) feeling wise smile
  • Posted

Hi, I,ve also been smoking since I was 16 and I'm 51 now and gradually got up to 50 rollies a day' way over the top. I've been having a lung x ray each year for about 5 years now and the last 2 years I've been going to a doc who has a ct scanner. Last September he told me I have a small cancer in one lung and developing copd, so despite the fact I love smoking because it fits in well with my lifestyle (I'm a househusband in Japan with 2 small kids and plenty of free time in the week) it is imperative I stop. I cut down to 35 a day in November, which was quite easy as 50 a day is really over the top, but since April I was cutting down more got to 23/24 a day by July but lost focus and am enjoying 35 a day again until the kids' summer holidays are over. My wife has to have a small operation at the end of the month also, do I can't go back to the docs for another scan until mid September, to see how things stand. This morning I reset my plan to go down to 20 a day again, but when I see the doc, I will ask for some medicine I know he can prescribe that makes tobacco taste bad and see if that will help. I'd really like to join a quit smoking group, but I'm not sure if they have them here and also my Japanese isn't so good although I like to think my communication is OK. Tobacco and cigs are cheap here, a lot of places like shopping centres and airports have smoking rooms and people don't make a fuss if you do smoke in public unlike the UK. I will see how it goes again going to 20, the trouble I had in July was that I still don't want to stop, only for heath reasons. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me posting here, my main point being I have also been puffing away for a long time, but it's not impossible to change and i' m looking forwards to stopping one way or anther and then getting a bit fit' just to solidify things.
  • Posted

Hi valerie23,

I was a smoker from the age of 13yrs, averaging around a 20 pack a day up to the age of 52. I suffered a stroke on 28th August 2012, stopped smoking 28th August 2012 under my own steam. Previously had made no attempt to stop, thinking the usual " it will never happen to me", how wrong I was. I honestly found giving up one of the easiest things I have done in my life.

Good luck with your quest......

• Posted

Hi Valerie23, I have been nicotine dependent for 40 years and 'believe' that I enjoy a smoke (or the comfort at lest of something to suck on) In the beginning of June I started using a refillable electronic cigarette. I don'tknow if they are any better for me but at least I am not inhaling all that tar which is supposed to be the reallung spoiler.

Before I switched I was smoking perhaps 10 -12 rollies a day. I will be interested to compare my lungcapacity and health in another six months or so. I have stopped smoking twice before for over 12months (second time for 18 months) but at the moment am not sure if I can actually quit the nicotine but am going to have a go with one of the flavoured non-nicotine 'juices'

Meanwhile, am saving a lot of money as the refillable e-cigs are much cheaper to run than fags.

Good luck, whichever way you go. Either has got to be healthier.

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

I have smoked for around 35 years and have had everything from patches, accupunture, hypnotherapy, Champix, Zyban and the list goes on.  I found that the lozengers worked for me..... but....... you are only supposed to take them for so long and I was addicted to those for a year.  I started smoking again and I am so fed up of puffing away, feeling short of breath so I am giving Champix another shot as I do think it is all in the mind and you do need to be in the right frame of mind to give up. 

• Posted

i agree with you, it's all in the mind, you really don't need all these patches and stuff, but they are an option that works for some people. i'm 52 and smoke rollies and have been quite concerned about the health risks for a couple of years now, even though i quite like smoking and here in Japan where i live, it's muc hcheaper than i the UK, anyway, i was smoking when i felt like it, plus i don't work, so loads of free time, but 2 weeks ago i came up with the idea of smoking once every 30 minutes, fairly rigidly and it's been working quite well for me and i think i can cut down further as time passes, say at the end of the year go onto a cig every 40 minutes. i did stop once for 15 months when i was 33, but there are reasons why i stopped and started again (actually i only used to smoke joints and not ordinary cigs, and i went to NZ for a year and stopped as soon as i got on the plane and never thought about it again, no withdrawl symptoms or cravings what so ever. i only started again, because lated i moved to Holland which of course has all those weed cafes !! in Japan there are practically no drugs, so i stopped smoking pot, but couldn't quit ordinary cigs)
  • Posted

Hi Valerie i smoked for 40yrs for me it was chapix yes you can get side effects but you wont get cancer. and iv not smoked for 18 months now so its worth a go good luck.biggrin
  • Posted

Hi I have started champix again with a different mind-set I am on day 9 and the stomach ache and nausea is not pleasant, however, I have cut down and my day to stop is tomorrow - so no more smokes hopefully.  How are you doing?
  • Posted

Hi Valerie

I'm using patches to stop and I really like them, the only thing you have to watch for is bad dreams/insomnia (I take them off before I go to bed, so it's fine now) and I get quite itchy with them.  I'm not allowed to take champix as I have a history of depression but I've heard quite a lot of positive things about them (although there are some bad stories on here).  Years ago I used to use Nicobrevin, it's quite hard to get now (you can only buy it online), it's expensive and you still need loads of willpower for it to work.  I've never tried hypnosis or accupunture so I can't comment.  Cold turkey is extremely hard for me (I was a 40 to 50 rollups a day smoker).

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Valerie

Hope you are doing okay on your patches -  I am pleased to say that when I first came on here I was on day 9 using Champix I have now done 5 weeks - I am astonished at how this pill works - there is hope and it is such a nice feeling to feel free of not having to buy cigerettes - infact I havent even thought about them.

• Posted

I smoked 20+ a day for 25 years or so and, like you, I despaired of ever giving up. I tried various chemical aids, which just made me feel dreadful and reach for a fag! One day, I thought I'd try 'cold turkey' and, whilst it wasn't pleasant for the first few days, I knew I'd done it. I still felt a bit rough in the chest area for a few months, which I put down to all the rubbish being disposed of. That was all 12 years ago and I've never even considered touching one since and feel better than when I was in my 20's.

Go for it, it's easier than you think.!!

• Posted

Yes it was chapex for me after 40yrs on the cigs its now been nearly 2 years and i dont look back now. Just remember once you give up you can never have just one your soon be back where you started if you do. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.