Hi, iv just started on amitriptyline given to me in hosp...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, iv just started on amitriptyline given to me in hospital to help with pain. i didnt want to take them but i finaly agreed on a low dose, he started me on 10mg but over 6 days hed increased the dosage 3 times. Im reluctant to take them now as i wasnt consulted about increasing the dosage, i feel he presured me into them & was very crafty in uping the dose so quickly. I have mild asthma & since taking the tablets im having very bad trouble breathing going from using my inhaler a few times a week to about 8 times a day, i have palputations & although i only take a tablet at night i feel very tired & drowsy the following day. Im going to try reduce the dosage a bit & if i still feel the same im going to stop taking them, after all if you read the side effects on the packaging they could make you feel a lot worse than you did before you took them.

[i:7f3e0660dd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7f3e0660dd]

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take Amitriptyline just before i go to bed. This drug is absolutely fantastic as it has kept me sane for over 20 years. Whenever I try to reduce my dose my symptoms of severe depression, neurotic episodes and anxiety return with devastating effect. I experience very little side effects - my life would be a living hell without this drug.:magic:

[i:ab4e1b9615]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ab4e1b9615]

• Posted

I have been taking 2 x 25mg every night before bedtime to help with pain relief and insomnia I also take tramadol and co-codomol. I get a severe dry mouth, as all these pills dry you "out". I have had no other ill effects other than a feeling of fatigue towards mid afternoon. But soon perk up again. I used to get drowsy but now I am still bright eyed bush tailed and AWAKE because of the pain. But the doctor is reluctant to take me of them now as he still feels they are doing me some good.:roll: I will have surgery in 6-9 months or so on my back and then hopefully will be able to kick my prescription "Drug habbit for good":magic:

[i:9d32e12539]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9d32e12539]

• Posted

i had a prolapsed disc and was on this drug

it sorted the pain from the scitica but as with other posts made me feel zombie like most of my day was over before i awoke

got it reduced, pain has returned but not as severe guees

its a balancing act between pian and being zapped all the time

my op was not a total success but one thing i do know is without i was in etreme pain and could hardly walk so the moral sometimes you have to grin and bear the side effects or suffer one good side effect i hardly ever drink (only on family occasions and very little) think of the money youre saving

[i:dd8299f562]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:dd8299f562]

• Posted

I had been taking two 25mg amitriptyline every night since early 2001s for migraines. As I haven't had a migraine for at least a year I decided to come off the tablets with my doctors approval. I had also started to get palpitations when taking the tablets at night which lasted hours and I wasn't liking much. I stopped taking the tablets by going down 10 mg every 5 weeks and have been free of them for the past three weeks. As other people have stated when on the tablets, sleep is great so much so my husband said I used to snore! (due because it is a type of relaxant).I have now found since coming off them that getting to sleep takes a bit longer - when on the pills my head would hit the pillow and I would be out for the count. I also find I am waking up earlier in the morning and finding it hard to get back to sleep. Another problem is I feel sick most of the time and not so hungry - lost 7 pounds in the three weeks! also have a touch of tummy problem with diareeh which I don't normally suffer with. To the person who said they get a burning sensation when taking the pills sometimes which last hours. I did also have that and found it was because I didn't drink enough water with the tablet it got stuck somewhere from down the back of my throat to the stomach it was terrible. I did find that the tablets did stop my headaches and will be thankful for that, its just I didn't want to keep taking them indefinately. Has anyone had similar experiences to me and does anyone know how long the symptons last?

[i:186d35e564]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:186d35e564]

• Posted

Hello,

I've been taking amitriptyline for about a month now for migrane. My migranes have reduced dramaticly, but I do get an occasional 'normal' headache, and sometimes still have that cloud feeling in my head, where its not actual pain, just a fuzzy feeling.

I have noticed a very dry mouth and throat, and a nasty tasty in my mouth, but that all goes simply with a drink or some food.

Another thing I've noticed is I get a great nights sleep, but I have to remember to take them early enough so I can wake up for work.

I take the 10mg tablets, 3 a night.

[i:3533e0cd0c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3533e0cd0c]

• Posted

Just started taking this, am on 10mg a night what dosage are you on for your depression. I seem to be more hungry but really dn't fancy eating. I have tried several SSRI's but have had bad side effects i seems to get less side effects on Trycylics.

[i:278f882366]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:278f882366]

• Posted

hi,

I was prescibed this tablet to help when I had chronic back pain due to a slipped disc. It has been my saviour. I only take 10mg and find with this amount it does its job and the side effects are bearable. However I have varied the amount in periods of extreme pain and found that the sleepiness is too much to cope with. If you can be patient with this drug and find the dose that is right for you, the side effects lessen after time and the results are well worth it.:D

[i:9340d9ea01]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9340d9ea01]

• Posted

hi i also have had a prolapsed disc first op was the surgeon opperated on the wrong disc no wonder i felt i wasn't getting any better a year later i have had another op on the correct disc but iam now in pain with scarring this is trapping the sciatic nerve which is just as painfull. Has anyone had any op or treatment for scarring. I am going back to hosp next week for nerve root block injections but they hav'nt lasted long in the past.
  • Posted

I've had childhood asma and as an adult its not gone but lessend. I only have times when I realise i'm struggleing a little more to breathe.

I'm finding my lungs waighned down almost and its hard to breathe. Its actualy diffilct now. I only took one of those things last night 10mg. I'm already at the point where i'm looking for my old inhalers.

Thanks for showing i'm not insain and this is happening to me.

• Posted

I have been prescribed this for anxiety, tried various anti-depressants but had to stop taking them due to severe side-effects.

I am on day 4 of 25mg at night, yes I do sleep well, does anyone else take this for anxiety, would love to hear from you .

Thanks

Danielle

• Posted

Hi,

I know it's far fetched to message you, as the conversation you were part of was more that a year old, but I'm really desperate.

You said that you took amitriptyline for your anxiety. Did it work for you? I have severe anxiety and several panic attacks a day. Problem is I am pregnant. They want to stop me from going into post natal depression, so they have started me on 10mg of amitriptyline twice a day. I am only on my 5th day, but I'm still getting attacks and constant anxiety. Nothing has changed and I'm so desperate to get better. Did it work for you? And if so, did it take a while to work or did it make you worse before you get better?

I would really appreciate your response. I long for the day where this horrible storm has ended.

Thank you,

Grace

• Posted

Hi Grace, did the amitriptilyne help, I also was pregnant and severe anxiety.  Nothing helped me, I went into postnatal dep, but now that I've had baby, I am anxiety free and sleep better.

• Posted

Hello Erin,

Seeing my comment from 9 months ago has made me so happy so see how much I have overcome in this time.

The amitriptilyne did help, yes. I am actually still on it, and will stay on it until I am fully recovered. I actually got worse the first 2 weeks starting the meds, but after that, I started noticing it work.

Even though I still do suffer with anxiety, I am no where near as bad as I was 9 months ago. I gave birth to a healthy baby boy, and he keeps my mind more occupied which also helps. I still suffer from panic attacks, but know how to control them more. 

I never would have thought 9 months ago that I'd be able to live my day to day life normally again. xxx

• Posted

Grace, my anxiety left after I gave birth, but I suffered postnatal depression and anxiety.  It was terrible.  I was so scared! i am taking a very low dose of ami for sleep. Just 2.5mg and  I sleep well, but wake early.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.