hi,ive been on venlafaxine for over two years now,i want to come off it..

Posted , 5 users are following.

i heard it can cause heart problems and i have put on two stone since being on it :-( so i'm thinking of coming off it but am scared to death after all iv'e read..what are these 'head zaps' it sounds horrendous,any advice appreciated guys...xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Iv been on this for 15 years. Been on 150mg. Weaned to 75mg. Next week I'm 37.5mg. The head zaps are like an electric current in your brain. They don't necessarily hurt, there more annoying. I haven't had many side effects as yet. A lot say it when you come off them completely 😁

I have been on them way too long. Coming off them due to collapses and they think it's these tablets. The cardiologist is convinced it's the Ven so I need to come off. Hope this helps x

• Posted

hi elaine :-) thankyou for your reply,it's very much appreciated..your answer has helped a great deal,i just think the sooner i try and get off them the better..dont get me wrong they helped me 100% after trying many many other anti d's that did nothing..they where a true god send,i still have some real down day's but i think thats just life,well im hoping..im scared i'll get my depression back ten fold but i can only try, I have a heart arythmia so im nervous about staying on it,i just pray the anxiety doesnt rear its ugly head again :-( it's so difficult what to do for the best elaine,i shall go and see my doctor,mind you he's not been much help as he was supposed to be monitoring me on it and i havent been monitored once! i do hope you yourself are feeling better real soon and all goes ok,thanks again and kindest regards,

lucy xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy. All I can say is cardiologist don't like you taking this medication. As you have a heart arithmia, I would suggest that you are making the right decision. Key is to go slow on withdrawal. Best of luck and keep in touch 😊👍😊
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, I haven't heard about heart problems but I've been on it 20 yrs and now in the process of coming off as I've put on a enormous amount of weight and I kept trying different diets with no success and was only when I researched Venlafaxine that I found out why I couldn't succeed on any diet! It was Venlafaxine that interferes with your metabolism! What I can't understand is why I wasn't told as my gp knew how much being overweight effected me!

Whatever you decide do tell your GP what you are doing and also wean off very slowly and take a day at a time!

I've just completed week 7 and although very very tired, fingers crossed no other problems!

• Posted

Wonder if the weight comes off when off this drug. Iv put on 4 stone. Withdrawing at minute. Currently down to 75mg. Been on it 15 years x
  • Posted

Hi Lucy. Don't worry about the head zaps they are quick and soon pass.

I had papultations, high BP and too many other side effects to mention whilst on 225mg for 4 years and i put on 4 stone!. My waist size was 42 having been 36 since i was young.( now 50).

My GP was clueless so with the advice of people on here i gave it ago. 5 months in i'm down to 20mg, had a few withdrawal problems but knowing why ignored them and yesterday got into a size 38 trousers, so there's your incentive. I take omega 3 and vit b which i read helps the withdrawal.

So go for it, take your meds at the same time of day and take it very very slowly. Its a long road but worth it.

Well done for making the decision and forget your GP they are hopeless. Good luck and keep us all informed.

Ian

• Posted

Hi lucy. My partner is still coming off Venlafaxine. We have got it down to 150mg for 6 days and free on 1 day a week. Seemed to be ok for a while then last week she started to be very foggy in her head and feeling depressed again. Seemed like she was going backwards. My partner also has put on weight and by the sounds of things it will take a while to get back to normal. It's very hard for all people on this drug and hope when it's all over she can be happy again.
    • Posted

hi pete :-) this it what scares me to come off it...i'm petrified to go back to feeling really down again...but i guess i wont know until i try and give it up,i just keep hearing such nightmare stories about coming off this medication,i think i will try though,if i do go back to feeling bad i will go back to my doctor and maybe try a different medication as putting on two stone does not! help with things....thanks for your message and kindest regards to yourself and your partner and i hope she soon picks up xx
    • Posted

Hi. I'm withdrawing at the moment. Been on max dose for 6 years then decreased to 150 for the last 8 years. First week I dropped to 110. Second week 75 and now third week I'm on 37.5. I can honestly say it hasn't been that bad. I realise everyone is different and I was the same as you scared stiff. Only symptoms so far are brain zaps but you can still do your normal daily activities and work. I'm hoping next week to try every other day but my GP has left it up to how I'm feeling. Give it a go. 👍😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.