hi my left lung collapse in may 2015 nearly 5months later im still off work

Posted , 5 users are following.

The problems I have is my left lung collapsed 100% had a chest drain in for a week then had to go to Nottingham for a operation to reattach my lung to the ribcage stayed there for two weeks once I got out of hospital I had a check up back at Nottingham they took another xray and theysaid eeverything is satisfactory on the left side but I hav 8 more blebs on the right I use to be so physical I set up my own business and was working all hours 7days some times as a mechanic but now ive had to close my garage because I cant lift or undo any stubbon bolts as it strains me so ive been resting but now I still have pains like its happening again so I am scared of doing any strenuous work incase it does happen ive been back to hospital since as they were monitoring the blebs but they won't operate unless one of them burst and the lung collapses they say my right lung will collapse some time in the future could be today next year or in 10 years so I have to live in fear of another episode I always feel tired if I do any physical jobs I fall asleep after and I have pain for hours after but it eases with time the doctors says its all part of the healing process but ive gone from a physical man at 39 to a shadow of my former self at 40 if any one has any advice or suggestions on how to get over this would be much appreciated im a stay at home dad now but wanting to get back in work

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was 35 when my left lung collapsed. I too was in hospital for a week with a chest drain. 4 weeks later I had a CT scan and I was told that it would probably happen again so I understand about living in fear, it's horrible. I demanded surgery because I couldn't live with the fear of when it may happen, I had surgery 4 weeks later. This was about 18 months ago and other than it taking quite a while to heal I haven't had any problems. It is the most painful thing I have ever had to go through.

I really feel for you, to go through all of that and to have to close your business and completely change your life is heartbreaking. I was told they would operate after 1 collapse on exceptional circumstances, can you insist your doctor refers you to a cardio thoracic consultant to discuss further? You may have already done this but I would be quite demanding.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply its quite uplifting to hear from someone who had the same gets lonly sometimes and emotional I'll be phoning the doc tomorrow I cant live like this its not me but now you've given me some hope I no is going to be painful and it takes time to heal but I don't want to be usless any more this time next year I want to laugh about this not cry thanx again u don't no how much youve already helped me
    • Posted

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Your first challenge is convincing your doctor to refer you to the consultant, hopefully he will. I was in a right state living in fear and that's one of the reasons why they operated, every week I thought it had collapsed again.

I know how hard it is and so does everyone who has been through it but I promise you there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It will get better.

• Posted

I'll definitely keep in touch you've given me hope I was getting my self that down that I just wished it would just collapse and get it over snd done with I even though about starting smoking again how stupid is that but now I can follow another path thanx again feel quite good about it now youve been a great help words cant described how much
    • Posted

You cannot smoke again, I haven't smoked since it happened 18months ago, my consultant guaranteed me it would happen again if I continued and was probably a massive contributing factor.

It's only natural to get down, you've been through a lot.... A hell of a lot.

The best thing about anything in life is that you have a choice, you can sit in and let it beat you (which I did for a while) or you can get up and make the best of the cards you have been dealt. I climbed the Great Wall of china 4 months after surgery because I wasn't going to let it beat me, life's too short, do what you can whilst you can and be grateful for every day you have smile keep smiling.

• Posted

Woke up this morning full of determination phoned doctors and I hav a appointment at 3:20 this afternoon fingers crossed he will start the ball rolling
    • Posted

Hi been back to doctors ive got to go for a xray today and then wait for an appointment with the consultant so the ball is rolling fingers crossed they will sort me out thanks again for the boost I needed it
    • Posted

I quit smoking and it still happened to me...put on weight an still happened... Nothing works, it's just going to happen when it does..
  • Posted

Hi Richard,I've just had my lung collapse for the second time,the first being 13 yrs ago,which was worse,it fully collapsed then,which was drained of blood,also told I had a few plebs,in hospital for 3 weeks and recovery was 4 months.

This time round I've found it much harder to deal with,reason being because it happened again! But not as bad as last time,was down 20% and just need oxygen for 2 days,that was four weeks ago,I'm not back at work yet as told I cant lift etc. And don't feel ready.Im constantly on edge now as been told it will happen again! Because I am tall,5,8 I am,so are billions of other people. I think the only way to over come this is just to try lead a normal life but try take it easy,I'm going to reduce my hours at work and go from there ! Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply im sorry to hear its happened twice for you but its nice that im not alone my familys fantastic but they don't really understand how I feel deep down as you no It's life changing not been able to do things that use to do hope it goes well for you and thankyou so much and get well soon
  • Posted

I like the way you think smile AND I had my left lung attached to my rib cage I had 2, First they tried VATS, but it didn't give enough access.I got back to my room, I  began to swell. They had missed one of the holes.  It was the most painful, longest I have ever endured. My dr said  surgery would be brutal, Who in their right mind would volunteer for the most painful surgery in hospital a month. I know where you are coming from. At times, NOW I'm very easy to get SOB, just  But the pain caused by the surgery follows me like I'm playing Happy Days. I wish you the best
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your comments ive woke up this morning wanting the same as yesterday so today im phoning my doctor and demand he puts me forwards for another opp to sort my right lung out I no its gonna be painful but fear of it happening again is far worse but im finding that talking to every one on hear makes things alot clearer and I feel more convenient I wish u all the best and hope u get over this
  • Posted

Richard,

Hate you are going through this.  I am a 53 year old female, had each lung collapse 3 times before they did surgery when I was in my 20's. Surgeries were horrible, and recuperation was tough. Had very few problems in years since the surgeries, until recently with some scar tissue.

One thing to consider regarding your recuperation, your lung capacity was likely reduced during the surgery. After mine, I felt like walking 10 feet was equal to walking a mile before the surgery. This improves with a little time.  It takes some months, but after a while you won't notice this at all. 

Hang in there.  It will get better.  

• Posted

Thank you for your kindness got the ball rolling to see consultant again so fingers crossed all should be good after another operation then onwards and upwards thanx again for the support

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.