Hiahal hernia with upside down stomach

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was hoping someone could tell me about hiatal hernia with upside down stomach I was just told I gave upside down stomach with hiatal hernia I'm going to have surgery and I was told it could be fatal I have never heard of this pkease help with and info

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

Sorry to hear of this.

There are two types of hiatus hernia - sliding and rolling, as shown in the attached graphic. The left hand image shows the sliding type which is the most common whereby some of the stomach has pulled up into the chest. The right hand image shows the rolling (or paraoesophageal) hiatus hernia which is less common - the type you have.

Upside Down Stomach (UDS) is when most of the stomach has "rolled" up beside the oesophagus into the chest.

Paraoesophageal hiatus hernias are more dangerous as they can imeded normal respiratory and cardio functions of the chest with obvious difficulties for digestion.

Surgery for this condition is more complex than for a siding hernia. Whereas surgery for a small rolling hernia may be managed laparoscopically, a larger one or UDS, may require open surgery.The difficuty lies in retrieving the herniated stomach from the thoracic cavity through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm without rupture. Once repositioned correctly, any tear in the diaphragm wil need to be repaired to prevent reherniation. This needs careful management so as not to restrict the normal operation of the diaphragm.

Sorry to scare you with detail. No surgery is easy but a skilled surgeon will be able to repair your UDS and within a couple of weeks you shoud be living a normal life again.

Very best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

• Posted

That should say "Paraoesophageal hiatus hernias ... can impede normal ... functions.

Sorry for the mistyping, I wish there was an edit facility.

• Posted

hi tammy,

i also have a 10cm para oesophagal hiatus hernia. they will operate if you are having problems with it. i believe we are more at risk or strangulation of the hernia. try not to worry about the operation it will be carried out by someone who is experienced.

hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

• Posted

Thank you yes I believe I have one of the best surgeon in the United States I'm sure I'll be fine but it is a horrible feeling when you feel like your stomach is in your chest 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.