Hiatal hernia

Posted , 6 users are following.

have had this for quite a while, it is pushing all my organs up under the heart and I was told bi have about 3 inches of air space in my left lung. I am now having problems walking I start out fine and in about 5 minutes I am gasping for breath, sweating and so tired. Think this is from the hernia?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely. I've read there are things you can do to increase your breathing by inhale a deep breath then tighten your stomach muscles and blow the air out through your mouth. I know this may sound stupid but when you are in your car, sing..sing every time you get in your car. If I'm feeling nauseated and I feel like everything is in my throat I sing and that seems to help. Hope you feel better soon. You would think how good medicine is nowadays, they would have a better idea of how to fix this.
    • Posted

I do breathing exercises and they do help some, also sing in the car but I run out of breath. Thanks!
  • Posted

It sounds like you have a paraesophageal hiatus hernia and if this is true you need surgery.

judy

• Posted

Went to a doctor to see about surgery he says no way unless I have bariatric surgery and wants me to go out of state.
  • Posted

I met w the surgeon today for a igunial hernia.

I can tell it's taking a toll on me and the breathing and getting tired has been a factor lately. Unable to have surgery till a better time maybe a mo. Just know that it drains me to walk and I'm a walker w/o a problem before discovering hernias. Not fun but hope you get it taken care of .

• Posted

I did smoke but quit a long time ago. After I quit I could breath fine, within a month I noticed trouble breathing had tests ran found spot on lung said to keep watch on it. Like 5 years later do more tests and said the "spot" was the hernia been there all that time and had pushed the organs up bringing them under the heart. Hope all goes well for you!
  • Posted

Although I didn't have much problem with breathing when I was diagnosed with my hiatal hernia, I did have pain on my left side which I thought might be heart-related.  But tests revealed that it was due to a very large hiatal hernia.   I had my surgery back on December 22nd.   Only problem that I have now is a weak appetite.   Must be very careful what I eat everyday.    If it doesn't soon clear up, I will go back to my surgeon and see if anything else can be done.  
    • Posted

I have to be careful what I eat anyway due to GERD. Also just a few bites and I feel stuffed and lasts about 30 minutes to an hour and then I could eat again. Hope all turns out well for you
  • Posted

YES I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS . I CAN'T EVEN WALK ONE ISILE IN THE GROCERY STORE & CAN'T BREATH & THIS HERNIA ON TOP OF MY WEIGHT IS TWISTING MY SPINE & HAS MY HIPS OFF & EVEN MY BLADDER IS OFF SET. i HATE LIVING WITH THIS IT IS METALLY DRAINING ME NOT JUST PHYSICALLY. gOD BLESS BOTH OF US . YOUR NOT ALONE.

• Posted

If I walk real slow and use the cart to hold onto I can walk about 4 aisles in the store before I start sweating and have trouble breathing. I have started stationary bicycle exercise to see if that will help, otherwise, I have about wore out my options. I know how you feel..... I would like to go shopping but can't enjoy it because of breathing! Hope things work out for us. Thank you for responding!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.