Hiatal hernia feel like blacking outth

Posted , 2 users are following.

i get this strained feeling in my chest and then it feels like things are  going black....like my peripheral is heading toward black. I'm able to prevent the black-out by taking deep breaths.

how do I prevent this from happening? Would losing weight result in shrinking the hernia thus stopping the blackouts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Cest pains leading to blackout should definitely be seen by a doctor asap. Could be heart. Doesn't sound hernia related.

hiatus hernia can permit reflux which can mimic heart attack symptoms but blackout sounds serious.

• Posted

Thank you for your response . I have had my heart checked and every test came back ok.

Have you heard of Vesel vasovagal

Syncope? I'm thinking there to be a connection with my hernia. Have you ever investigated this as a possibility? Thanks

• Posted

Vasovagal syncope is the most common form of fainting but needs a trigger of some sort.

I know a hiatus hernia is near the vagus nerve but feel it's unlikely to be causal. A para-oesophageal hernia would be more likely to cause a problem than a sliding one which I imagine yours is?

Even so, a hernia is relatively static and it would need some sort of trauma to trigger the fainting.

I have experienced 3 such incidents myself in the last 18 months. I can get post prandial tachycardia and hyper hydrosis but it does seem to be tied to eating slightly more than my usual (which is half size portions anyway). Although all my ECGs, Echograms etc for my heart have always been OK, they've fitted me with an incident recorder (the size of a match stick) under the skin in case I have another so they can see what happens.

(I think in my case it's more likely to be from gastric dumping hypoglycemia since having had my stomach resectioned by Collis procedure when I had my Nissen wrap repaired 18 months ago. When I feel sweaty and palpitations hafl an hour or so after food, I take a couple of dextro tablets which helps.)

Do discuss the problem with your doctor and I hope a solution is found.

• Posted

Vasovagal syncope is the most common form of fainting but needs a trigger of some sort.

I know a hiatus hernia is near the vagus nerve but feel it's unlikely to be causal. A para-oesophageal hernia would be more likely to cause a problem than a sliding one which I imagine yours is?

Even so, a hernia is relatively static and it would need some sort of trauma to trigger the fainting.

I have experienced 3 such incidents myself in the last 18 months. I can get post prandial tachycardia and hyper hydrosis but it does seem to be tied to eating slightly more than my usual (which is half size portions anyway). Although all my ECGs, Echograms etc for my heart have always been OK, they've fitted me with an incident recorder (the size of a match stick) under the skin in case I have another so they can see what happens.

(I think in my case it's more likely to be from gastric dumping hypoglycemia since having had my stomach resectioned by Collis procedure when I had my Nissen wrap repaired 18 months ago. When I feel sweaty and palpitations hafl an hour or so after food, I take a couple of dextro tablets which helps.)

Do discuss the problem with your doctor and I hope a solution is found.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.