hiatal hernia omoprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

oh dear this is getting me down ,,, take omoprazole to help hernia pulsing throat 3 a day 20mg i think great all good working well then i get the stomach pain been told its the stomach low on acid or omoprazole causing it there is a name for it but cant rem i ? so stop the omoprazole  let the stomach heal now the tickly cough is starting the throat pain hernia pain in the post going round in circles same thing happend with ranitadine arrrhhhh 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't understand "hernia pulsing throat".

Maintenance dose of omeparzole is one dose of 20mg a day. Once a day should last all day. High doses may be split morning and evening just for convenience. Why are you taking 3 a day?

Omeprazole reduces acid production and can induce hypochlorhydria resulting in malabsorption of esential minerals. This doesn't harm the stomach.

If your problems are around the throat and a tickly cough, it points to reflux being the main culprit rather than the acid.

Go to DownWithAcid org uk and find Extra-oesophageal reflux under the main Reflux heading by scrolling down the contents list (home page). It will explain this reflux. Subsequent pages/chapters will describe management.

• Posted

I would like to know what you mean pulsing throat too as I have had that as well x
  • Posted

hi yes the feeling in my throat its like throbbing or pulsing feeling , i was advised by doc to take one morning and night if bad take 3 , but i think this is giving me pain ?
  • Posted

ohhh and tickly cough 
  • Posted

Throat and cough as others have said can be due to reflux. The omezaprole reduces the acid so it should be helping, but it might not be working for you and you may need an alternative PPI

If you have stopped the PPI and the cough appears, that could explain it. Start the PPI again and the cough goes away its doing its job.

I use to suffer badly with throat problems until I started on the PPI, now they are a problem in the distance past

• Posted

I was on Omeprazole for nearly 10 years , I thought I should change to something else in case my system was too used to them and maybe they wernt working so well ... I now take Esomeprazole ( Nexium ) and finding them good with the acid ... I still get all the symptoms tho ... wind ... chest pain ... nausea etc .. but its easier without the acid .. Ive suffered with it since childhood ( 45 now ) ... I will have Fundoplication sometime next year after thinking long and hard ... I have sliding HH , reflux etc etc ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.