Hiatus hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had a camera down the throat and is prepared to tell me about it? I have been threatened with this if I keep vomiting but I believe it's just anxiety, nothing in the stomach to worry about.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, ann

i have had several endoscopies in my life.

dont worry or get anxious about this proceedure, the gently feed a small camera in the end of a long tube down your throut to inspect your osoephagus and valve at the top of your stomach they check your osophagus for any acid burning

and also the valve and they also check inside your stomach.

• Posted

Thank you, Andrew, but it sounds too scary for me. I have told my GP I can't tolerate it.
  • Posted

Hi the procedure is straight forward and will be over before you know it. I opted to be put to sleep so I didn't feel anything. If you choose not to there may be a gagging reflex so opt for the former as this will reduce your anxiety. Once complete you will have an indication straight away of what may be causing your distress.
    • Posted

I didn't know you could opt to be put to sleep. Of course I would go for that if my GP suggests it. Thank you very much for that tip, Donna. It might be extremely useful.
  • Posted

I had a camera down my throat and into my stomach because i recently suffered from excessive re-flux. The junior doctor sprayed my throat with a anaesthetic spray to numb the senses in the throat. The junior tried three times to get the probe into my gullet without success. The experience was not comfortable. The senior consultant did manage it on the fourth occasion and it disclosed a badly scarred interface between my stomach and my lower gullet.

I am now on drugs to reduce the rate at which my stomach produces acid and that seems to be working. However i believe some damage was done to my throat and gulletduring the procedure whichI think is slowly repairing.

If I were to have the procedure again i think i would choose a general anaethetic as i found myself continually bawking during the 5 minute examination. 

good luck

• Posted

As I suspected - it comes with a risk. I would certainly choose a general anaesthetic, given the choice. The more I hear, the more I think it's an option. Thanks for that. Hope your reflux problems are under control now. Thanks, Glamour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.