Hiatus hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi dear, so relieved to not am not alone in this whole thing. For 2months I have been so sick and all drugs given to me proved abortive. Last week I was diagnosed of hiatus hernia through endoscopy. My doctor said the surgery is a major and terrible one and quite expensive. Could hiatus hernia be responsible for my light headedness, shortness of breath, scary hot flash that comes wit the feeling of Bering electrocuted. Am so worried, pls is any one having this same symptoms ? Has any one gone through the surgical processes? How bad is it? I just had a baby through CS and all this surfaced afterwards. Pls help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have a hiatus hernia. Dr. Said to leave it alone. It was causing pain and heartbur. I take prevacid for it and it helps. Why do they want to do surgery?is it protuding?

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Leah, yes I've been diagnosed with giant hiatus hernia & my doctor said the same to me that it is a very risky operation and I had to make my own mind up so I have and I am waiting for a date to have it done.  I decided to go ahead because my stomach is now in my lungs and collapsed part of a lung so I am having difficulty breathing apart from this I don't have any of your other symptom. Is the shortness of breath making you stressed and panicky? Perhaps this could explain the other symptoms but I don't know so perhaps you should tell your doctor of these symptons. I could let you know how I get on with the op. after I have it, whenever that will be as I'm in the UK and on a NHS waiting list.

Good luck.

• Posted

May I ask how long you had your hernia and how you found out your hernia was really large..Thank you
    • Posted

hi airbles45

i read your blog on your large hiatus hernia. before you go for op i would advise you to speak to your consultant about the propensity for your diaphragm herniating again after surgery.  my hernai reoccurred 4 times that is why i am advising you to get all your questions answerred before surgery takes place the diaphragm is only a thin sheet of muscle and next to your heart it is one of the hardest worked muscles in the body as it is constantly moving with our breathing.i had a patch placed on my diaphragm twenty years ago and it stregnthened

my diaphragm and cure my episodes of recurrent herniation? it is like putting a patch on the knee of your jeans after sowing up a tear a few time before?. i amonly making you aware that the surgeon will pull down your stomach into the abdomen and stich it down and sew up the tear in your diaphragm but what stregnthens the stithed up area , only a patch can do that you may be informed that a patch could cause problems with rejection . however the risk of hiatus hernia recurrence is greater i should know i have had 4operations.it may be the case the surgeon will discuss this with you due to the giant size of hernia but he wont know until he goes in and looks?  if he tells you that he is going to place a patch dont sign your op consent form until the wording is correct and states that he is going to place a patch.

some consultants have been known to change their mind . i dont want you be in a position of having another op to repair anonther hernia if it can be avoided. i am only trying to share my experience with you to make you aware . all the best with you op , rest assured you qaulity of life will a lot better after op  chin up.

Andrew

• Posted

hi leah,

it is very common for a hiatus hernia to develop after child birth as the diaghram is under strain pushing down during labour.i think your doctor is trying to scare you

open surgery is a major proceedure cost doesnt come into it as you pay your national insurance however there is a laproscopic proceedure you can get which is less invasive with a shorter recovery time. the proceedure is called a laproscopic nissun fundoplication which means wrapping your stomach around your osoephagus to cure your hiatus hernia. your dizziness may be caused by the side effects of the medication your taking your chest tightness could be caused by a portion of your stomach sliding into your chest causing chest tightness.it should dissapear when the stomach slides back down into the abdomen .your syymptoms have to be severe and interfering with your daily living and reducing your quality of life . before any consultant will carry out an op .i have had several ops to repair a hiatus hernia this was done by opening the chest which is a major proceedure thankfully they have progressed to laproscopic operations which isnt so bad. if you are continually bieng sick speak to your doctor again in the short term raise the height of your bed at the top end this helps elevate your chest to stop you bring any sickness up when you are lying horizontal in bed. please note that in the abscence of having any surgical proceedure your hernia can only get bigger as the diaphragm tears even bigger with more of the stomach coming through into your chest cavity. a small hernia is easier to repair with a greater chance of bieng succesfull than  a giant hernia that has grown due to the tear increasing through time .

i am not suggesting you run back to the hospital to get on op i am only making you aware what could happen.you need to discuss your options more with your doc i hope this info is of some help to you. hope you feel better soon

Andrew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.