Hiatus hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been following all of the posts regarding hiatus hernia. I have had a hernia now for over 30 years but over the past 5 years symptoms have become much worse. Pain, bloating, feeling like something is stuck in my throat and just generally feeling unwell. My hernia has been diagnosed as large 6 cms and I also have barrettes. Most recent symptoms are constant nausea and tiredness. Misery indeed. My consultant does not want to operate as I do not tolerate anaesthetic very well and am always extremely sick, which I know they do not want following this op. What to do next? I just don,t know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi i recently had the linx procedure and a

Hernia repair 5 cms in size

I always feel very sick after a general

I was given lots of anti sickness medication

To help prevent being sick.

For me surgery was the only option as

Medication no longer helped my

Symptoms.

Have you tried all the different medications

That may help

Hope you find a solution x

• Posted

I had my surgery for an esophageal hiatus hernia about 10 months ago. I am always very nauseous after general anethestic. This was no different . They gave me many drugs to try and stop the nausea. Nothing was working . Then they decided I needed to leave recovery and they moved my bed about a foot and I started to retch. They stopped immediately and sent for the anesthesiologist. She gave me another drug intravenously and after about an hour they could move my bed. I made it through . It wasn't easy. My operation was urgent as esophageal hernias can twist and strangle the lower organs. I was losing weight, always burping and couldn't sit. I had other symptoms too. I had been to emergency about .5 times in the last four months before surgery. Hope this helps.

judy

• Posted

I have has this constantly for may years and last 3 years Ihave lostso much weight that I look likee I am from a concentration camp. The now have discoveredthat I have the bug in the stomach called heliocobactor and it is a cancer causing bug. Waiting on medication to be compounded from a Sydney pharmacy to treat it. Try asking to be tested for this. The GI  said I will be anew woman once we eradicatee this bug. Nakes one anxious and depressed which i am being treated for until this thing clears up.  Always have coated tongue and runny nose and burning in the mouth. Dr said it is usually contracted in infancy and never looked foruntil it caused stomach ulcers or stomach cancer.  Hope this helps
    • Posted

In my family grandfather, mother, aunt and 2uncles have all died from stomach cancer, and hello actor is the cause.  You are lucky to be diagnosed.  I getcheckedfor the bacteria every few years,and passed info onto the younger generation.  Also have hernia that's started up with ore symptoms so will mentionthattodoc.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.