Hiatus Hernia and Chest Pains

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia on Thursday via endoscopy after four and half years of discomfort and some very alarming symptoms. 

Recently, I have been experiencing chest pain that is worrying me quite a bit to be honest. Its more than likely the hiatus hernia is the culprit for the pain; the alarming thing though is that on a couple of occassions, the pain has seemed to come on through exertion..This is kind of awkward, but I was actually having sex...The pain does not occur when I cycle hard...puzzling to say the least....Has anyone had bouts of oesophageal pain through exerting themselves?

I'm 28 and I don't smoke and I exercise regularly and am active. I was referred to cardiology a few years ago and they found nothing indicative of heart problems/disease. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Join the club my problem is the same but because I already have had a heart attack I watched carefully as it is hard to tell the difference when you have both Hiatus and angina. the pain can just be round the chest or it can take over the whole chest and neck and arm. It can happen during activity or rest plus after meal. I' ve been told mine is 5cm   so not sure if this the size of the gap in my diaphraigm 
    • Posted

Are you talking about the pain from the hernia or the pain you get from angina? 

Yeah, its almost impossible to tell the difference from what I have read. I'm 28 so I doubt its angina! I shouldn't worry...But I do. Ha.

• Posted

Thumbo,

I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia May 2013 and have experienced very similar symptoms. I'd get obscure pains around my left pec and had many visits to the hospital to be cleared for any heart trouble, I'm only 23 myself. I was extremely fit and exercised 5 days a week which had dropped to barely anything because I'd feel tired and symptoms would present. 

I didnt want want to carry on with medication and not being able to exercise fully for the rest of my life so I had keyhole surgery to repair the hernia. 

I was apprehensive with the general reaction from the the surgery for this but 5 days post op I feel pretty unreal. Still very tired and wounds ache but no reflux or pain, managing to eat well and on solid foods already. It's worth the risk to improve your quality of life being fairly young!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.