Hiatus Hernia and Palpitations

Posted , 122 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia but have had lots of problems with palpitations recently, i also sometimes get a cold shivery feeling some nights as if i am going down with flu, i have suffered from really bad acidity over the last 10 years, i have had three endoscopy's and it was on the last one that i was diagnosed with a hernia, i also get bad chest pain along the sternum and a bad pain where my ribs meet in the middle, it's so depressing, does anybody else suffer from palpitations etc?

9 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi

Yes I suffer these symptoms too, I also get very breathless especially when I bend over or climb stairs and also feel quite faint and dizzy during a bad attack.

My stomach is also badly swollen, so much that it looks like I am pregnant.

Good luck

You have my every sympathy its so awful.

• Posted

have you had any luck I myself and strugling to diagnose myself I have chest/heart pains huge belly(im very slim btw) and i urinate less but mostly stomach pain and swelling so bad that I find my self going crazy becuase the doctors have not even scanned it just poked it and said its ok
    • Posted

Exactly the same.  It is so draining isn't it?

• Edited

I too have a hiatus hernia. Three weeks ago I started this pain/pressure up and down on my sternum., and the gas I was belching was incredible. I went to the ER, and they did an ekg and said that something was not right so I was referred to a cardiologist. Also my blood pressure in emerg was sky high. They started me on blood pressure pills and 81mg aspirin.

My visit to the cardiologist showed on the stress test that my target heart rate was reached to quickly and again the ekg showed something.I am now going back for a halter, and eco, and a stress myoview.

But a few days ago I had that same thing happen to me. I was cleaning off the side of the house and got so hot, so I had a Coke. Well that set things off again. I tried eno, then sone ginger ale, the a tylenol.

It's really freaking me out, because I am having all of these symptoms along with menopausal crap which is reall interferring with my life.

This creates anxiety symptoms, so I don't really know what cothers me

I want to blame most of it on the hiatus hernia especially the chest discomfort. It does not seem to matter what I eat it bothers me. I do not get heart burn, but my lips burn...weird.

This pain in my sternum was like a cramp...do you get this?

Take care

• Edited

Why on the world would you drink anything with caffeine or sugary with recent heart events, hun?? You should ONLY be drinking water and lots of it! This will help work palpitations, anxiety, and and being hot tremendously! Stay AWAY from caffeine!!
    • Posted

OMG, your stroy is the same as mine. I too was cleaning the outside walls at my cottage. It was so hot that I drank a Coke down so quickley. That started everything. That sternum pain with such excessive belching and bloating. I went to emerg and they went through all the heart tests and found nothing......The pain was so bad. I also have an hiatal hernia. Since then all I have had is stomach problems. I have recently have been diagnosed with Tachycardia. Trying to decide to have ablation. Recently having palpations and fluttering and am looking into Vagus Nerve as it connects heart, stomach and hernias seem to aggravate. 
    • Posted

hi I realize you posted 1 year ago but curious of your outcome. I have been miserable about 6 weeks and have a hiatus hernia but have had trouble breathing lateely I was sent to cardiologist yesterday. I used to exercise quite a bit less than a month ago before I started feeling bad. Yesterday in stress test he said I reached my target heart rate way way too fast so seemed concerned. I am almost done with a halter monitor now and was hoping to hear back before the weekend but he isnt in the office today. I was curious what came about your issue and what you did.
    • Posted

I know thisw is an old message, but just was wondering if you ever found out what was causing your symptoms. I too have the same thing
    • Posted

I have just found out that I have a hitial hernia that is quite large and it is a fixed one, not a sliding one.  I started having issues about 4 months ago with throwing up and pain in the rib cage and lots of acid.  I realized that acid was the problem but didn't know why. .  My doctor said my esophogus was damaged and it is like haviing an ulcer. So had to change my diet.  Then I went to the gastroenterology and the scope found the hernia, then I went and had an upper GI X ray and they said it was quite huge.  My follow ujp appointment is this week and they have already said they are going to send me to surgery since it is so big. I hope things will get better.  I did need to lose weight but it has been a tough way to lost 30 lbs.  Still need to lose more weight so after the surgery I will still need to watch what I am eating so that I can get to a healthy weight.  I feel for anyone who is suffering with this.

• Posted

Watch out for the sugar hats what triggers mine real bad
    • Posted

HI TO ALL, I TOO HAVE HAD YEARS OF BACK AND FORTH HIATAL HERNIA SYMPTOMS. I DID ALOT OF ANTI BIOTICS FOR LYMES DISEASE, 3 YEARS. THAT MESSED UP MY STOMACH. THEN I GOT THE ENDOSCOPY FOR HIATAL HERNIA, POSITIVE, BUT NOT SEVERE. I GET THE HEART PALPITATIONS EVERY TIME I START A DIET, OR DO PHYSICAL EXERCISE, ESPECIALLY CYCLING. OF COURSE I WENT TO CARDIOLOGIST TWICE. THEY FOUND MITRO VALVE PROBLEMS. THE EXERCISE SHOULD BE STARTED OFF SLOWLY FOR THAT PROBLEM. SECOND CARDIO DR. I ASKED ABOUT VAGUS NERVE , HIATAL PALPITATIONS, PAINS. HE SAYS HE NEVER HEARD OF IT. (NYU DR.). EVERY TIME I STARTED THIS DIET THING AND CHANGE FOOD DIET AND START EXERCISE, THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS, AND IT GOES AWAY AFTER I LOSE MY WEIGHT AND STOP DIET. THE DR. JUST BUILT HIS NEW FACILITY AND NEEDS TO PAY FOR THOSE MACHINES MAYBE? 

ANOTHER THING I NOTICED WHEN I START EATING CHOCOLATE, COFFEE, OR ALCOHOL, THINGS START TO GET BAD. WE ALL KNOW THAT.

I GOT RID OF ACID REFLUX IN A MONTH BY FOOD COMBINING. IT REALLY WORKS. THERE IS A BOOK ON LINE BY SHERRY......FORGOT LAST NAME.IT'S REALLY NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU EAT, BUT THE ORDER, AND COMINATIONS THAT GIVE YOU REFLUX.

STAY AWAY FROM DR.S, THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT FOOD COMBINING. THEY ARE MOSTLY STUPID PEOPLE.THEY JUST WANT TO SELL PILLS, AND INJECT RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL IN MY VEINS FOR TESTS. IMAGINE 10 YEARS FROM NOW WHILE THEY ARE FLOATING ON THEIR YACHT THEY WILL CARE WHAT THAT TEST DOES TO YOU?

• Posted

D - great post - I agree about Docs. - just PPI's pushed at you.  I have GERD/Esophagitis and HH.  I get cramping when I eat which is a new issue for me - think it is the hernia.  I am looking into food combining - I find it hard keeping a food diary - one day a food sits well and the next is hurts.  Looks like I am stuck with it.  I had gastritis 5 years ago and managed to see that off usuall natural methods and knocking acid abd sugar out of my diet (still drank soft red wine though).  I will look up Shelley Whats Her Name lol.

I have always exercised and used light hand weights.  I had been good for weeks and started doing floor exercises with Pilates thrown in.  I was doing sit up from flat on the floor up and forward and whilst I could feel the pull in my midriff it was not realy uncomfortable.  Into the second week and I started with cramping especialy after eating.  Drives you nuts - I want to exercise and eat.

Hope you are ok today.

G.

• Posted

well my ears are very blocked and cant hear very well at moment.  but being syringed on tuesday pm cant wait.  not sure if are side affects from meds but very light headed and stomach hurts as well.  being careful what i do as well.  got app at hospital in sept about unbilical hernia waiting for one about sliding hiatus but doctor thinks tablets rather than an op as food tube very slow and if the mesh is to tight can make that worse.  just hope appointment comes quick.
    • Posted

Despite the all CAPS, I benefitted from your post.  I have not paid attention to the foods, nor to my diagnosed, previously mild, sliding hiatal hernia, as I finally got worn out from protesting to my physicians that this was causal, along with vagus nerve involvement.  So, thank you.  I guess I'd best hit the research road again, and attend to this as the palpitations have become constant, and I have diagnosed cardiac problems as it is.

• Posted

I have hiatal hernia as well ang lately around 1 month it was acting up really bad that it cause me anxiety because, I keep thinking about it. I’ll be having my Barium swallow this Monday 04-14-2018 . My acid is so bad it doesn’t matter what I ate anymore. I take nexium 40 mg twice a day but didn’t seem to help me. Can you please update us how is your surgery went? Thank you and GOD BLESS🙏🏻

• Posted

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. For those of you that have AF symptoms when you change your diet, it could be based on nutrient reduction (magnesium/potassium). I find when I go from a SAD to Low Carb, Keto diet, I tend to go into Tachycardia about 2 days into it. When going to a LC/Keto diet, your body loses a lot of sodium and some suspect that is why one may get kicked into an irregular hear beat.

One I'm on the LC/Keto diet I have almost zero events. I do think that the events I do have always happen at night (when lying down) and msotly after a late meal (my HH & reflux gets kicked up).

Lately I have been doing intermittent fasting where I stop eating at 6pm each night and don't eat again until 12pm the next day. I have almost zero GERD/Reflux (as I don't go to bed until 10pm and most of the digestion is finished). 

I eat the same about of calories (2000-2500) per day but do it in a 6hr eating window (which is hard to eat that much). I eat only real food (no processed food) and have lost about 20 lbs in 6 months (w/o even trying).

I weened myself off Nexium over a two month period. I went from 40mg 2x daily, 20mg 2x daily to 20mg 1x daily, to 20mg every 2 days then to Zantac and now nothing.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you if you are in a rut.

• Posted

I am a male 33 years old and I haven't been tested positive for hiatal hernia yet but I have similar symptoms and the doctor told me about the mitral valve problems after an ECO. I did the same a couple of years back when I started having palpitations and regurgitation problems after starting cycling for some months and the ECO and ECG were fine. This time ECG is fine but some problems with ECO according to the general doctor. I will have an appointment with the cardiologist soon to find out more. My problems also start with exercise and during times of stress when I want to do exercise to stay normal and then there is an episode of reflux and palpitations. You are right about combining different foods and that is also a key when it starts but I have realized that it always has to do with my mental health. I hope you are doing ok.

• Posted

Hi!

i have the same problem like you...when i start to make some exercises like push ups or running is starting heart palpitations...is a strange feeling like something is pushing in the chest...also i have reflux and hiatal hernia....

i want to ask you if you fix it this problem and how?

Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.