Hiatus Hernia Diet......... help needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i was diagnosed with a HH over a year ago and in recent months the pain and discomfort is becoming unbearable. As a result i have massive anxiety and when I am having a bad time i feel like I am going to collapse. I have finally accepted that i have to make massive changes to my diet and lifestyle in order to manage the symptoms. I was wondering what advise others can give.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear that- what are your specific symptoms? If they're anything like mine I can let you know what I have done to

alleviate mine.

Best,

• Posted

Hi bellb

I started eating smaller meals and nothing in between meals except water and a very small meal at night (sometimes just fruit) and eating about 3 hours before going to bed to give it time to digest. Also sleeping on 2-3 pillows so your chest is above your tummy helps. I'm not sure how much you weigh but weight loss helps if you are big especially around the tummy area. Go easy on rich foods, acidic foods such as vinegar and spicy foods(chillies, pepper, etc.). If you get heartburn try 1-2 desertspoons of slippery elm powder(from health food shop) in a smoothie works well and no side effects that I'm aware of. No tight clothes around your stomach and chest area(bra) as this also pushes HH up.

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else I will post it. smile

• Posted

A Hiatus Hernia is when some of the stomach has herniated (pushed through) the hiatus (hole in the diaphragm through which the oesophagus passes en route to the stomach leaving some of the stomach within the chest cavity. The junction between oesohagus and stomach happens at this point. There are two sets of muscles that tighten about the oesophagus to keep it closed when food isn't passing. Together these are called the Lower Oesophageal Sphincter. Your HH dispaces the two sets of muscles so your LOS doesn't work properly. This means anything that should be in the stomach (including the strong hydrchloric acid it makes) can flow up the oesophagus (eg reflux which is often acidic) .

It is the acid reflux that causes the pain.

Diet actually makes little if any difference. There's an awful lot of rubbish spouted and myth propagated regarding acidic or alkaline foods etc. Keep a food diary. If you discover any particular trigger foods then, obviously, eliminate them from your diet.

If acidity persists, see your doctor who can prescribe acid suppressant medication to make any reflux less dangerous.

Meanwhile, you need to tackle the reflux. This is best done by lifestyle modification but may require reflux reduction surgery (Fundoplication) .

Lose weight if necessary. Eat little and often - 5 half-sized portions pread through the day are better than 3 big meals. Leave at least 3 hours between you last meal and going to bed. Avoid exercise after food that will involve compressing, tipping or shaking te stomach. (Walking is good, however, as it will aid movement from the stomach to the duodenum. ) Avoid tight clothing. Raise the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

• Posted

I agree with this. Diet has made very little difference. Dairy may be a small issue. I did lose 15 lbs and am at normal weight. Unfortunately that didn't help. The only thing that works for me is little caffeine no carbonated drinks and very very small portions. Like one hard boiled egg for breakfast. sad. That small.

• Posted

Hi i am so sorry for your struggles. I was diagnosed with a hh 10 months ago. The doctor believes it is the cause of my heart palpitations and anxiety symptoms.

What I have found that helps is zofran ( a prescription medication) for the nausea and Mylanta with a gas reliever. I stay away from chocolate, alcohol, and citrus. I'll take baking soda and water if I have a little acid indigestion.

It's trial and error, and there have been some days that nothing helps!!

I've done reading about the solar plexus and how that being tight can cause problems. Ive read about the vagus nerve being effected. It all can be very confusing!

God bless you on your journey as you discover what works for you.

Lynne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.