Hiatus Hernia, symptoms and stress. Please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 19 years old and have recently been diagnosed with a grade 3 hernia. I was wondering if you guys could give me some information on hernias and just reassure me because I get back anxiety and stress. So the symptoms I have are, slight acid reflux, chest pains that come and go, distended feeling in my stomach that is almost there 24/7 unless I'm not moving. Headaches and back pain. Can someone please help me 😔

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi chrisfaa

a hiatus hernia is a weakness or tear in the diaphragm at the osophageal hiatus (hole) where your osophagus goes through the diaphragm hernia are graded according to there size e.g a hernia 5cm in length is classed as a grade 3 which is classed as small. a 10cm hernia can be classed as a grade 4 etc. the acid reflux your having is due to the valve at the top of your stomach not closing properly resulting in acid leaking from the stomach. if you are lying down prop up your back with pillows on the sofa you can raise the head of your bed so it sits higher and use more pillows to raise your chest when sleeping to avoid acid reflux. if you start getting heartburn its down to the acid burning the bottom of your osoephagus see your doc for meds i use liquid gaviscon which helps coat my osoephagus you can get chest pains now and then when the stomach slides into your chest through the hernia but this pain subsides when your stomach slides back down again. it s not uncommon to suffer stress especially if you have constant chest pain. hiatus hernias are very common . some safety advice - avoid lifting anything heavy reduce the instance of bending down to much and aviod weight lifting at gym or any rough contact sports. in the abscence of having a hernia repaired they can get bigger .so you have to be careful , in order to prevent your hernia increasing in size.

if you need any further help you can contact me

• Posted

Thanks Andrew! At the moment I'm constantly getting a weird feeling in my stomach constantly and it makes me really stressed! I don't get much acid reflux it's mainly stomach and chest problems that trigger stress, I find anything that I put into my stomach seems to cause it to become 'distended' that's the only thing I'm really worried about. Is that common??
    • Posted

Hi chrisfaa,

I am 45 year male from India. I suffered sliding type HH for two years and on medication since June, 2013. the LES valve was seen relaxed and there was severe acid reflux. I also experienced kind of symptoms you mentioned above all along and at times it was terrible to bear. I even maintained a strict diet without onion, garlic, milk, tomatoes etc etc. without no avail. At last I was suggested to do yoga by a practitioner who gave a series of exercises. After a period of may be 6 months of doing it, I went for endoscopy and diagnosed no HH and the LES was found completely closed. I experience no acid reflux now. the doctors said I may have to continue the medication of lower doses for long, but I feel completely relieved. You have this issue at a very tender age and I strongly feel you could be alright with some medication and yoga. Please be positive and hope for the best. May god bless you.

• Posted

Thank you bhavani for your response. I just keep getting stressed out because the symptoms are so persistent. I will definitely try yoga as I've heard it's a very good way to calm your HH. Like I've said beforehand, did you get the distended feeling after anything water etc. that's worrying the most.
    • Posted

yes. there used to be feeling of bloating, fullness etc. supplemented with belching and wind. Please observe what you are eating. slowly the symptoms go off as you build the zone of diaphragm stronger by physical exercises and breathing exercises.
    • Posted

Thank you again. I have been worked up for the last 2 months. Hopefully now I'll deal with my problem and start to recover 😊 Can you recommend any specific foods that can help?
    • Posted

First I let you know what you should not have. All the bakery foods like biscuits, white bread, chocolates, condiments. all the citrus fruits like lime, lemons, oranges, mangoes, pineapple. Nuts like greenpeas, groundnuts.

Eat Bananas, curds, whole wheat, whole rice, all green vegetables, cucumbers etc. most important thing is that you should eat only 50-60 % of your capacity. Never overeat. Eat small portions may be 6 times a day. take good amount of roughage all through. keep 4 to 6 inches of bricks below your cot on head side. never sleep before two hours after dinner. Dinner shall be as much light as possible. walk regularly in the morning. If you are a singer, practice singing as it reinforces and strengthens your diaphragm.

• Posted

Thank you so much! This will hopefully help me control my stress as well. Thank you again, you've all been very helpful!
    • Posted

I just want to tell you that HH can be if not curable, manageable by following good diet and exercise regime. I had gone through a very bad phase in managing this but I want to extend all my help that could possibly be extended to other fellows undergoing the same lean patch because of the disease. So many factors effect the condition of patient but you are very tender age and I hope you can comeout very well.
    • Posted

Andrew dear, can hiatus hernia cause shortness of breath, hot flash that radiate heat on the upper part of the body wit the feeling of electrocution,heavy and most times light headedness, pain that radiate from chest to the back, sometimes frequently pressed wit urine or faeces. Spiking cough?
  • Posted

hi chrisfaa

if you have a sliding hiatus hernia the normal position of the stomach can change and give you wierd sensations in your stomach or abdominal area. these symptoms will come and go as your hernia slides up/down whilst it migrates from your abdomen to your chest and back. another tip eat less food more often dont sit down to big heavy 3 course meals.

Andrew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.