Hidradenitis Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All, I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with HS 6 years ago. From May 2010 to August 2012 I had 45 abscesses removed from under my arms, under general anaesthetic. I had all my glands removed from there and a skin graft in September 2012 and had no problem since in that area. But almost as soon as the stopped there I was getting them in my groin area. I have had another 54 operations to remove abscesses in my groin since then. I am due surgery to remove my glands in that area on 17th November. Just wondering if anyone has had this surgery as the plastic surgeon said it's not exactly the same procedure as the one under my arms. Does anyone have any info on this operation? Good or bad? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I haven't had that surgery yet. I had my sweat glads removed under both of my arms. I havent gotten any abcess under there since. I keep getting them in my groin area, but scared to have the surgery. I wish you luck, and please let me know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi Miss AMH, I have had this operation twice, the first was without plastic surgery which left me abscess free for 12 years but it came back in the same place again. The second time i had plastic surgery and it has not come back in the same place since, that was 14 years ago so fingers crossed it will remain that way. If you want any info on what the last op involved let me know and i will reply. Best of luck in whatever you decide. 
    • Posted

They are definitely doing plastic surgery for the op. Any info would be great James.
    • Posted

Hi, So what my op involved was a complete removal of all the areas which had been infected but they went abit deeper this time, taking the graft from my right thigh. It was not an easy op because they had to rebuild my scrotum as that was also an area which had become infected. I woke up from the op with a catheter in and had an epidural to help with the pain, they gradually reduced the dose after a few days. The worst part was when i was allowed to get up, i nearly passed out with the pain from where they had taken the new skin and that was the longest healing part of the op. They did a very good job and it was definately worth going through it, so in my opinion i would go for it. Let me know when it's all done. 

• Posted

They are only having me in as a day case. I won't be staying in. So pain relief will be in tablet form. But I managed with that after my grafts under my arms. It's two weeks today. So just hoping this is the same. I went back to work after 4 days after my arm grafts.

• Posted

If that is the case then i wish you luck. Keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.