Hidrentis Soppurativa

Posted , 7 users are following.

I understand  that stress can bring  aggrevate the symptoms of HS and I wondered if stress early on in life could be a cause of it, So, doing a bit of detective work myself,  do any "sufferers remember or know that they did have a very stressful time  early on in life,

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

When I was 15 my dad died and my mum was in a coma. I'm had to grow up fast and it caused a lot of stress. I'm now 20

• Posted

Interesting post this.  I have suffered a lot from stress all my life and find it very hard to deal with.   I also had severe acne in my teens.  I guess as HS is an autoimminue disease stress might well play a major part in it.

I found when I was working and stressed I got a lot more outbreaks.  Now I am retired and don't have to work it has virtually stopped.  Stress is always a big trigger for me.  x

• Posted

I had severe acne in my teens too. And I agree, stress could well trigger autoimmune disease.
    • Posted

I believe from what I have read about HS that many sufferers have also had acne as well and they can be linked.  Stress does attack the weakest parts of the body hence HS developing as well.   x

• Posted

This is interesting. i started getting HS in my early 30's, and I can honestly say I've had a very stressful life. my adult and working life has been very stressful, however I had a very unhappy childhood too, and I think that the stress response, and living with it, was something that just carried on into my adult life - like being stressed and "surviving" was the only way I knew of living.

?It would be very interesting to see if other sufferers have had early stress events. We know that the body's physical response to stress is to be flooded with the stress hormones and that too much of this can cause a lot of problems and illnesses, so it's quite possible it could trigger something like HS. 

• Posted

This could have been me writing this Jay.   I too had an unhappy childhood and only knew stress and survival.  I think stress does cause many physical problems and maybe for people with a 'weakness' in one part of the body will develop physical symptoms. 

I know my dodgy sebacious glands caused my acne and stress could have made this worse by developing HS.  x

• Posted

Hi Hypercat. i really agree with what you say. Going off the thread, I know my childhood, and the way I learned to survive emotionally, have really affected me as an adult in the way I live. The way I respond (or don't respond) to people and situations, my constant feelings of being stressed even when there's not much happening, constant anxiety and always looking for that elusive "something that's missing".

So it makes sense that if it has affected me emotionally/mentally, then it's likely there have been physical effects too. I also have under-active thyroid, another auto-immune problem.

• Posted

Me too Jay,   I get stressed very easily and even CBT didn't help at all.  I have been depressed from the age of around 7/8.   I was always a very happy bouncy childl when very young but I remember feeling like I had a huge stone weighing me down when I got a bit older.   I can't remember much of my childhood past around 7/8 years old and it's interesting I got acne around the age of 11.   I never wondered before if they could have been related.  Mind you I didn't get HS until my mid 40's,  so maybe not?  

As far as I know I don't have any other autoimmune diseases though and I am grateful for that.  Got me thinking now...  x

• Posted

That's sad, it's hard to think of a young child being depressed. I had a very abusive childhood and I try to not dwell on it too much, I know I was always aware of just watching and waiting for the next bad thing to happen, and each time it did, trying to deal with the terrible feelings that accompanied it.  I remember always wanting to be grown up so I could get away. If only it were that simple!

I started getting HS in my early 30's; looking back, it started after I put on a lot of weight during one year. I've always thought the problem was probably there lurking in my system, and maybe the big weight gain was the trigger that brought it out.

?But I did have a very unhappy childhood and I do think it's possible there is a link between stress and HS.

• Posted

Hi, I dont know what research (if any) is being done,  my daughters doctors all say they dont know the cause. do you know of any research I would like to ask if they had gone down this path of childhood stress.
  • Posted

I did a reply earlier today but it is being "moderated". I wasn't aware I'd said anything contentious, but obviously did!

?I had a wretched childhood, and I now know that I was in a permanent state of fight or flight, or more accurately i was in a permanent state of "freeze" because that's all I was capable of. Fighting wasn't an option, nor was flight, so I did the other option, that of freezing. But whatever anyone wants to call it, I was never able to relax or drop my guard, so my body was constantly flooded with stress hormones.

I think this is a really interesting line of discussion.

• Posted

I actually had my first ever spot/ outbreak after my first son was born, following my first depo shot. I have never had acne or cysts until this disease. I now have stage 3 HS. Its has been 13 yrs since my first cyst.
  • Posted

This is interesting, and although I agree that stress can be a factor in worsening an already weakened system, it will not be the cause of HS. I ve had hs for 20 +years and although my life was stressfull, I could not think of breakouts that came at the same time, I always had a lump here or there at any time. I am using zinc pills for more than a year and a half now, had great results , only when I stopped taking did I have a flare up, and in that year I started a company, which is a very stressfull but exciting thing, and never did I flare up. Try the zinc pills and come back and tell people . after taking the 70mg zinc pills every day my HS cleared up .Before I was on the paleo lifestyle that cut out nightshades and it works as well, but I couldnt stay on it.So the easy way is the zinc pills.
    • Posted

Stress is one of my major triggers.   When I was in a job I hated and found very stressful my HS flared up quite a lot.  Now that I am retired it has calmed right down thank goodness.  x

• Posted

I do think everyone is different, some are affected more quickly whilst others dont  for some years, the degree of "tunneling" could also mbe different in different people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.