Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have pv jak2 + with this what is a normal red blood count and what is high

thanks

gary

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

not entirly sure, my Dr goes by my hematocrit levels, for me they like to keep it under 0.45 but i'm guessing that would depend othe Dr
  • Posted

Hi gary. I am a woman, and my blood count shd be a little different than yours. I believe mine shd be about i42 point something. If you look it up online, just ask what a normal red count for men shd be. My hematologist has the nurse or receptionist call me when I have had a CBC and tell me if I need to increase my meds or even have blood drawn, some call it a venesection, mine calls it a phlebotomy. Sometimes I ask what my count was. She will tell me. Also when you see your hematologist, ask him to explain how much too high it was on your last CBC. You shd be having a CBC once a month usually.

harrishill

• Posted

Hi Gary, for a healthy person, the Haematocrits range for a man is 0.400 (.40) - 0.520 (.52)

& for woman it is 0.370 - 0.470 (.37 - .47)

With primary polycythaemia the haematologists like to keep everyone below .450 (.45)

With secondary or apparent polycythaemia they like to keep you nearer the upper range to see if lifestyle changes (a possible secondary cause) will correct the persistence in climbing too high.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.