High Blood Pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

In October 2007 at the age of 69 I suffered a stroke whilst at the theatre in London. I was taken to St. Thomas's hospital where I was thrombolysed. I made an amazing recovery having initially lost my speech, use of my right arm and right leg. Within 5 days I was allowed home. I was given Simastatin, aspirin, ramipril, persantin and omeprazole. The Simvastatin 40mg initially gave me pains in my legs, but this slowly subsided. However, my biggest worry for the past 8 months has been the control of my blood pressure. On one occasion when I had to attend our primary care clinic because my bp had risen to 269/104 I was given Indamapide, when this failed to lower my bp I was put on beta blockers, these did lower my blood pressure but also lowered my heart beat to 40, causing me to pass out, so I was taken off the beta blockers. I was also taken off ramipril because of the awful cough which developed over the months. I then went on to Candesartan 8mg. When that failed to lower my bp it was increased to 16mg and then to 32mg.

On having my blood pressure checked yesterday at 4p.m. the reading was 189/104 - so we are back to square one. I have today started taking Losartan combined with hydrochlorothiazide (Cozaar - Comp) so we will see how that goes. I am also on 80mg of simvastatin a day, which is giving me headaches. Does anyone else have experience of any of these drugs please.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You talk to your doctor about Telmisartan,I believe the safest and best drug for high blood pressure
    • Posted

I agree...I am taking this since three weeks ago, for my high BP which was ranging from 140-155 over 85 to 95.  It is now completely now and it also relaxes me a lot.I feel calm and makes me sleep better.  do talk to your doctor. I am taking 40 mg.
    • Posted

sorry, completely normal smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.