High Blood Pressure

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello there

I just returned to the u.k on a flight from Portugal.I felt perfectly fine on the flight and after and checked into my hotel and awoke with an imense headache as if i had drunk the bar dry...not the case.Was actually booked in for a well man check the following morning where my bp was registers at a high of 175 over 100.I was concerned by this and a bit worried.I waited a further 3 days and the headache eventually went but on another reading i reached 184 over 114.......now thoughts of heart failure and stroke plague me and obviously dont help with the bp. also no more headaches but a n constant ringing in the ears.anyone else had this.The doc percribed bp pills imediately as i had another flight to take.....but i really dont want to go down that route and am doggedly determind to lose some weight and change diet options.do you think this is enough and am i in a life threatening situation right now

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

B/P is nothing to mess around with. Nothing wrong with b/p meds if you have the right one and the right G.P. Did you know many people can and some eventually come of b/p meds. I did. Took care of my weight , with diet and exercise. Had to cut back on the b/p meds as I went along. And finally my doctor said he didn't think I need them anymore. B/p usually around 115/73 now. Still have ringing in my ears though. So you should probably listen to the doc. , and work hard at comming off the meds.
  • Posted

Well Jason, it's pretty clear that you really need to take the BP meds for the time being. However, that doesn't mean you can't help things along by lifestyle changes.

Losing weight is a good idea - but only if you're seriously overweight, of course. You also need to look at your diet. Many people find that cutting down drastically on salt has an immediate effect on their BP. You also need to restrict carbs a bit - and especially sugar. So that means keeping ready meals and takeaways as an occasional treat, rather than regular fare. They're all loaded with salt and sugar - and the sugar content is almost as high in the savoury dishes as in cakes and desserts! And don't forget the high sugar content in fizzy drinks, and even fruit juices.

If you smoke you should cut back as far as possible - though if you are a smoker, I'm sure you'll have heard that one already. And don't overdo the alcohol. Moderate exercise is good for reducing BP too. Mine is always lower immediately after a brisk one-hour walk. But not the high-intensity cardio workouts - that could be dangerous for someone with your BP. Cycling and swimming are good too, as long as you're not attempting competitive speeds. And reduce your stress levels if you can.

Taking a magnesium supplement (350-400mg per day) helped for me. My BP wasn't as high as yours, at only 150/90, and I managed to bring it down to 120/80 after six months without medication - though I also lost a bit of weight in that time too. It takes at least six weeks to start kicking in, btw. The only possible side-effect of magnesium, when taken at the recommended dose, is diarrhoea, but that doesn't affect everyone.

It's quite safe to take magnesium alongside your medication, though advisable to start at a half-dose, till you find out whether or not it's going to give you diarrhoea. If it is, you'll find out about it within a few hours!

You might find that with a combination of magnesium, prescription medication and lifestyle changes your BP is down to normal after six months to a year. If that happens, you can risk reducing the dose of your prescription medication or even stopping it, while maintaining all the other measures. But don't take more than 500mg per day of magnesium.

And finally, don't worry that you'll be stuck on a high dose of BP medication for life. It's not one of those medicines that you can't reduce or even come off completely if necessary. But you do need it right at the moment, 184/114 is way too high and you're putting yourself at risk if you don't take it.

• Posted

Thanks for all that helpful info...really put my mind at rest...i ahve not had a repeat of the highest blood pressure since returning to the Algarve.i ordered y own bp machinne and imediately went back onto the 5-2 fast regime with at least 2 days a week totally alchohol free...since then i have dropped 3 kilos and check my bp twice a day at 8.30 am and 6 pm i am averageing at 144 /88...still alitlle hi i know but feel that continuing will bring it lower. interestingly when i do go out for a lunch with wine and coffees and brandy e.t.c. i have had my lowest readings.128-76...funny eh??

• Posted

Your BP is very high.  You don't say whether you have started taking the medication, or how old you are or what your weight is so it is difficult to comment. It does sound as though you need to get your BP down quickly though so maybe it is a sensible idea at least to stabilise your BP with medication now and consider other options to keep it at a good level later. You sound as though you have quite a stressful life with travelling and you need to look after your health. It is quite scary when you first have to start with a major medication but it works.  Good luck!
  • Posted

My BP was 182/124 yesterday morning and I have higher diastolics some mornings. I have been on various BP meds since 2000 when it was 210/110. I have attended a Hypertension Centre and had every test in the book . I have flown to China, Australia, New Zealand, the West Indes and America without any problems although when in the Alps it went up and I could feel it dropping as we came down on the train.

I stopped salt and sugar in 1983 and stopped smoking in 1993 and am not overweight nor do I worry about it... go figure.Some days it can drop right down from its morning highs to 106/67... go figure. 

By the way I'm now 82.

• Posted

perhaps ann erratic thyroid or similar is changing the body's reactions to events?
    • Posted

I've had every test in the book at the Hypertension Centre including 14 different blood tests, kidney and head MRI scans
    • Posted

Ha ha thats brilliant to hear.........i have been back onto my 5-2 fasting days and upping my cardio output.have a great lifestyle and the bp has already dropped........82......there is hope for me then im 50 and now recording an average of 140-85
  • Posted

BP mess are needed for high blood pressure, I done like taking med either, along with medicine exercise and losing weight will help mess work better and possibly can lower dosage through your doctor. Wish you well.
  • Posted

How are you now Jason. U posted a month ago and no you were miles away from being safe. I hope to god u stopped All salt intake..and certain foods of the list... And exercised plus breathing exercise helps enormously . Let us know.
  • Posted

Hi. I'm now taking 1 tablet a day of 160 mg of valsartan, 1 tablet a day of 5 mg of amlodipine besylate, (for blood pressure) and two to three tablets of 10 mg of propranolol (for when pulse rate is over 80 bpm. I've read more than a few accounts on line that says you shouldn't really exercise while taking blood pressure medications. But what about when the medications stabilize your blood pressure? (my target range is 120 over 70 and I'm getting to that level) You can never exercise, ever, all the time you are taking the blood pressure medicine, even after it puts your pressure at a safe level for a while? I'm usually a fairly active person, although not an athlete. But I do enjoy biking, and hiking. Anyone with any other information about this, contrasting opinions from medical professionals, etc. would be great. Thank you in advance.

• Edited

A BP of 184 over 114 ought not to be taken lightly as this reading borders Stage 2 and Hypertensive Crisis (as per American Heart Association). There is no harm in taking BP medications whilst you adapt your lifestyle by losing weight, and moving to a healthier diet. Start by checking food labels and avoid high salt foods. Try and stay below 1500 mg of sodium per day.

• Posted

I guess you could try more dairy products and painkillers, but i think heart rate and function depends on what you do to make the heart rate go up. You should stay away from strong drinks and drink more milk, and tea.

• Posted

hi Jason,

With least information about yourself i.e. weight, smoking , alcohol intake etc, there are many factors which can raise the blood pressure. Even stress can lead episodes of high blood pressure. i was in a very similar situation, my blood pressure was around 185/100. doctor prescribed me tablets, but i came off by changing my lifestyle fully, exercise, healthy food and yes beetroot juice. my blood pressure is around 118/63 but i have to maintain this by my life style changes, happy to share my experience more in detail if that helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.