High Blood Pressure and TN

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just read an article which suggests there may be a correlation between high blood pressure and TN.

How many fellow sufferers out there also have high blood pressure and are not being treated for same?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

From my research high BP does not cause TN but I can see how it could aggravate it....the expansion of the vessel would increase the pressure on the nerve.
  • Posted

I have had TN1 for about a year now but was just recently diagnosed. I do however believe that it is directly affected (at least in my situation) to hypertension. When my bp is high I notice the TN comes back.  I'm not sure but I've just started carbamazepine and I'm going to monitor my bp to see if that is the trigger. 

• Posted

Did you ever find out if there is a direct connection with your bp being high and the triggers of your TN? I think that this is what is happening with me also. I'm going to track it to see. Please let me know what you found out. 

• Posted

Hi Wannahelp2017, 

Good point. Our TN may also be stress induced (ie, high BP). 

Mark

• Posted

I have TN and am already being treated for high blood pressure. I take perindopril and amlodipine. There could be a connection though and I should really have my BP checked (I have not had it taken for over three months). I'm glad you mentioned this because its something I want to look into.

• Posted

Hi Anne,

I know this post is about a year old but I hope you see this, as well as anyone else. I have Atypical TN, from what my neurologist believes, but to be honest my GP says she does not know what I have. It’s a multitude of different symptoms (right side sharp/stabbing/ripping/constant & fleeting/searing/ pain) that seems to be triggered by different things every other episode. But of the medicines i’ve taken thus far, Propanolol has been the most effective at keeping the pain away. I took Carbamezapine which worked, until my WBC count dropped severely low and I had to stop taking it.  I then took gabapentin and I felt like it honestly did NOTHING...but make me lethargic, forgetful, groggy and disoriented. The propanolol was prescribed to me to address the constant migraines (I get migraines on an everyday basis no matter what) which my doctor felt it had some sort of correlation with my TN. I truly believe it to be so, after several months of taking the medication and noticing a reduction in migraines and TN episodes. However, even if I do take the medication in the morning and evening, if I allow myself to become beyond aggravated or stressed, the pain will break thru and the TN pain will start. My goal now is to control my own stress levels, along with taking this medication as it is keeping the pain at bay. I truly wish they do more research into high blood pressure medication, or beta-blockers and it’s effect on TN. I think it’s a miracle drug at this point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.