High Blood Pressure Query

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 32. Had all the usual tests and nothing found abnormal.

Tried lots of different medications, cut down on drinking and eating more healthier.

However, one thing I have noticed is that when I am ill or very tired my blood pressure is almost perfect and is only high when I feel good (obviously the majority of the time).

Has anyone else noticed this or if anyone hasn't do they know what could be causing my high blood pressure? Everytime I mention this to the doctor is falls on deaf ears - for example I went 3 weeks ago as I had flu like symptoms and was permanently shattered and when my bp was taken it was 132/77 so no changes to my meds. Fast forward a week when I was fully better and my bp is averaging 155/97.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

In a word stress. When you are ill, you probably tend to worry about things less. When you are better and your mind can focus, you probably start stressing about things.
  • Posted

The World Health Organisation guidelines on target systolic bp have been decreasing at the same time as mine has been going up through natural ageing. I took the recommended cocktail of drugs because my doctor's surgery said that I couldn't control my own bp. I gave up the drugs after finding that my doctor couldn't control my bp either - it's natural for it to go up and down just like the tide but you can't measure it exactly from a few ad hoc readings.

We should be worried if our bp systolic is permanently over 180 mmHg and systolic minus diastolic is over 60 mmHg.

• Posted

RGHB - thank you for your response. I should have said my bp is always high except for when I am ill/overly tired. As a teacher, I actually stress more when I am ill as I have to set lots of work despite being ill and off. Also I have the same high readings during all the holidays including the 6 week summer holidays.

Bob37393 - I don't measure from a few ad hoc readings! I have been recording my BP at home for over 4 years now, at least twice a day and have done a different times of day. As stated my BP is a 'normal' level when ill and high on average when not ill.

Although mine are on the lower end of being classed as high, I was only 31 when first diagnosed though could have been earlier.

• Posted

Perhaps continually worrying about your blood pressure makes it worse.

I gave up worrying about mine when my doctor said he coudn't manage it,

• Posted

Thanks Bob! I don't sit here worrying about it, I just want to know what causes it as I find it strange that when I am ill my bp is normal whereas usually it's high. I'm not a worrier, I don't stress more than the normal stresses and live a fairly relaxed and well to do life.
    • Posted

In that case, have you made a record of your bp readings and asked the opinion of a medical professional?
  • Posted

Hi. Not been on here for a while. First thing my GP told me off for recording my BP daily. Said (in not so many words) I was stupid to do so. I now record it, at random times about 4-6 times a month. Secondly I was told that a BP of around 150/90 for a man of my age (64) and in fairly good nick is fine. I am on 10mg ramipril and same dosage of statins. That's all I take. However, if you research the internet you find readings of 120/80 are the ideal and to check them twice a day!

Its a mystery to know who to believe. I just try to eat healthily, drink in moderation and exercise. If I worry too much my BP increases!!!

Good luck.

• Posted

The consultant at the Hypertension Centre I go to said.. You can never take your blood pressure to much.
    • Posted

Good advice.

I researched medical journals and found an early and thorough evaluation of bp systolic amongst male UK population.

Systolic peaked with an average of just over 150 mmHg at age 64 which means there were quite a few above and below.

• Posted

My husband has high blood pressure. Eating foods high in salt can make your blood pressure go up. Also drink water, get enough rest at night. Stress is also a factor. A multi-vatimin every day couldn't hurt. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone for their responses. However, I was looking for more specifics in terms of why my bp is an acceptable level when ill and high when a normal day, be it on my 6 weeks holiday or on a working day.

I know what the guidelines say and after 4 and a bit years none of it is working. The meds don't reduce it at all, change of diet hasn't helped, a year of no alcohol did not reduce it etc etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.